Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Pente Pro tournament in BrainKing
Replies: 189   Views: 443,202   Pages: 13   Last Post: Jun 24, 2008, 7:32 AM by: aaru

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 189   Views: 443,202   Pages: 13   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
karlw

Re: Pente Pro tournament in BrainKing
Posted: Feb 6, 2007, 11:02 PM

good point. that could happen in a lot of cases, like HonoR vs. gaylen, thad vs. 5Stars, or rich vs. anyone lol.

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
spifster

Posted: Feb 7, 2007, 12:11 AM

but also, the unrated poles, after they beat everyone in their section, are going to have amazing ratings. so it'll hopefully cancel out. but i heard something somewhere that all seedings are done by original seed? does that affect sb?

karlw

Posted: Feb 7, 2007, 1:51 AM

I am pretty sure that all future sectionings will be done by the original seedings, yes, but as for SB ratings, I'm not as sure. It's either done by the original rating at the beginning of the tournament, or the rating at the time the game was finished. Probably the former.

tarcellius

Posted: Feb 7, 2007, 2:31 AM

I just created an account here to check out DSG, and this forum on aaru's BK tourney is definitely good reading. I didn't know a damn thing about almost all the players you mention before now. Although the slew of unrated poles had me concerned already.

Thanks to pro_gram for being the first person to outright pick me to win my section. Thanks for the blind faith.

Anyway, I've only played a handful of tourneys at BK, but I'm almost positive the S/B ranking does not work the way it has been described here. The BK ranking of each player going in has nothing to do with the S/B scores. It's only the point totals of each player once all games in the section are completed.

To put it succinctly, if you split your games with another player and win all your other games, you are guaranteed of at least a tie in S/B. On the other hand, if you tie with a player (in points) and you each lost to *other* players in the section then S/B comes into play.

This section illustrates what I mean:
http://brainking.com/en/Tournaments?trg=19008&tri=136201

So Richard and all the other really highly ranked players don't need to worry about losses this way.

-tarcellius

chaosu

Home page
Posted: Feb 7, 2007, 2:55 AM

>where is arczi in that list?
>
>and will there definitely be a final two-player section >3-wins match, or only if there is a tie for first in round >3?

At that time arczi had provisional ranking 1720 (what would gave him 7th place at list). There were two tournaments after last rating list:
- Bytom 2005 where top4 had 5 points (Aaru, Arczi, Dein, Wicherek)
- Polish Championships 2006 (1. Utratos 16pts; 2. Arczi 14pts; 3-4 pro_gram & 7 with 12pts).

samwise

Posted: Feb 7, 2007, 3:59 AM

The skinny on my section is like this... Or at least i think.

I will split my set with jay, and with program, But i will win all the other sets.
I have not looked at the other games but i think program and jay will win all there sets. So IMHO the winner of are section will be decided with one set, that is jay vs program. If jay wins the set he will advance, if he splits with program then... Jay, Sam and Program will advance.

All i can say is that i am cheering for program!

karlw

Posted: Feb 7, 2007, 5:17 AM

Go jay! kick program's butt!

And tarcellius is right: the S-B value is calculated, not based on the ratings of the people you lose to, but on how many points they have at the end of the round. A player's S-B score is the sum of the points of opponents the player has defeated. So the max S-B value for an 8-player section is 56, if you win every game.

gnoza

Posted: Feb 7, 2007, 4:32 PM

I think Delgr has great chance of getting to next round if he wins 1 game with Richard and 1 with arczi, because he won 2 with Jozso...

section 3 is definately very interesting, and 1 game may be decisive

Karl will probably win the section (sb wrote that arneblom is v good, but i don't know him), and 100per is unfortunatelly already on lost position

and I'm pretty sure lutalek won't win his section;p

other sections are not very interesting...or maybe I'm wrong ;p

karlw

Posted: Feb 7, 2007, 9:02 PM

gnoza:

yes, del has a very good chance of advancing. as to arneblom, idk: i looked at some of his games, and he doesn't seem to be very strong (will probably lose both games against 100per). section 3 is definitely the most competitive and difficult to predict section. Might end up being a 3-way tie!

other sections are not very interesting...or maybe I'm wrong ;p

dude, elejpidi vs. dein in section 6, thad vs. richard's son in section 10, gaylen vs. honor in section 13?

gnoza

Posted: Feb 8, 2007, 10:25 AM

ok ok so I was wrong;p

as to zum and dein I think there will be tie

>richard's son

5stars? but still, I just don't know how he plays

section 13 - if gaylen doesn't lose points with other players he will win the section couse he will quite easy win 2 games with honor

karlw

Posted: Feb 8, 2007, 10:29 AM

5stars is evidently good enough for nosovs to pick him.

and you're right, gaylen should win his section if he plays well.

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Feb 8, 2007, 5:43 PM

I had played 5Star two times at IYT Finals both times third was Andjey (brain08). Once won Andjey , once I, but his is really stronger then Thad to my mind.

spifster

Posted: Feb 9, 2007, 12:07 AM

To quote karl's original concern:

"If so, then we would be looking at up to 88% of players being eliminated from each round, making for a fast and boring tournament"

So much for boring...

karlw

Posted: Feb 9, 2007, 2:46 AM

it's boring for me! i've got 3 opponents left, and they never move! aagh!

karlw

Posted: Feb 9, 2007, 9:45 AM

looks like tarcellius is gonna run away with section 14.

section 8 is getting interesting, with anne, lisa, and lepews duking it out. anyone else rootin for lepews?

Replies: 189   Views: 443,202   Pages: 13   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Back to Topic List