Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Pente Pro tournament in BrainKing
Replies: 189   Views: 443,113   Pages: 13   Last Post: Jun 24, 2008, 7:32 AM by: aaru

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 189   Views: 443,113   Pages: 13   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
karlw

Re: Pente Pro tournament in BrainKing
Posted: Jan 22, 2007, 3:38 AM

When I said fast, I didn't mean fast as in real time, I meant fast as in # of rounds. You make a good point about not being only 1 person advancing. There probably will be ties. But even so, if only #1 advances, that means there will be potentially a lot of great unrated players getting knocked out because they got put in with nosovs or brain round 1.

couple questions:

what do you mean by "only one major tourney ever has come down to two players?" doesn't every tourney come down to two players?

don't you agree that having the final match being a 3 wins match is ridiculous? It should be first to win a set. most logical.

also, i think it's bad planning to give 7 days, including vacation time, for each move. You should have a set number of days, say, 70 or 80, in which to make all your moves. That would make things go a lot more smoothly, and allow for the fact that some people will be away from the computer for days at a time without getting them eliminated.

Message was edited by: karlw at Jan 21, 2007 9:39 PM

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
jayhawklov

Posted: Jan 22, 2007, 5:17 AM

The problem with less than 7 days most tourneys dont get enough players to play. There are 30 to 50 tourneys there that dont get enough players to play in them. 30 to 40 players in one pente tourney is a large tourney at Brain and IYT these days. As for not having 2 players playing in the final they have a different rating system there for tourneys.

What does "S-B" column at tournament tables mean?

S-B is an abbreviation for Sonneborn-Berger system. It is used to specify an order of players with the same number of points and is based on a theory that points earned with a stronger opponent are more valuable than with a weaker one. The S-B value is a total sum of points of opponents who lost the tournament game with the player and half points of opponents who drawn the tournament game with the player. Only if two or more players have the same number of "normal" and S-B points, they share the same final order.

So what im saying here is that those Unranked players Like Utratos, Codypup, Arne Blom, to just name a few Not including the lower ranked players like Samwise and you have a better chance if splitting with the much Higher rated players. This rating system will put you onto the next level. Just ask Snut and Homebrew in his last tourney. There really hasnt been alot of big time Major tourneys in the last 3 or 4 years in turnbase pente. Thats with more than a few top 10 or 20 players in them. Snuts 3 halloween tourneys, Gary Barnes tourney, and the last major Pbem tourney. Only 1 of those ended with just 2 players left because of this system. As for the 3 win match. When it gets to there the higher rated player has the advantage, and well they should since they have taken the time and patience to get to that higher ranking. Fair or not that is this tourney. There are many ways there to set up a tourney. Who would of guessed it would have turned into the Monster it became. There will be alot of Top Ranked players not making it to the 2nd round because of this system. It looks to be 1 unranked player to each of the top 18 ranked players. The luck of the draw. Having Fun yet hehehehe

karlw

Posted: Jan 22, 2007, 6:25 AM

Thanks for all this feedback, jay.

Do you think it was just the snowball effect that turned this into such a monster tourney? good promoting and awareness-raising by aaru? mere fate?

I'm somewhere around the #25 seed, so I won't be facing richard, nosovs, or brain 1st round, I think....

I think it's intolerable that provisional-rated and even an unrated player are occupying the highest seeds. They go undefeated against a few middle-ranked players, and end up with a 2100+ rating.

jayhawklov

Posted: Jan 22, 2007, 2:22 PM

Yes that does suck, Ive raised issues about that before. The ratings system is very strange at times. The 2nd highest rated player in the tourney has played 7 gms and the highest rated player hes played is 1800. I believe that in a tourney if you are still provisional than you should still be rated as a Unrated player( The highest Unrated of course) Its truly an unfair advantage because of the BK rating system. I dont understand the other unrated plyer up there too only playing 4 games. Well if they lose than they will drop like a lead balloon in the rating, so fairness prevails.

jayhawklov

Posted: Jan 24, 2007, 6:44 PM

The last day to sign up for the World Propente Turnbase Championships at Brainking. 145 players so far and growing. Dont let this one get away from you. Sign up today. Jayhawklov

karlw

Posted: Jan 25, 2007, 12:51 AM

The sections are in! My tough opponents are 100per and arneblom. Jay, you're the expert on pente pros, what can you tell me about these two characters?

Also, in the event of a tie for 1st in a section, do both players, or the player with the higher S-B score advance?

jayhawklov

Posted: Jan 25, 2007, 5:51 AM

Well Arne blom is a top 20 player at turnbase, Hes been playing many years against just about every old Master in the last 5 years. His computor system wont let him play here anymore. Very tough to beat 2 games, 100per just playes aton of games, another top 20 to 30 player better at turnbase I think than at timed games looking at the Polish championships, He hasnt played pente at Brain for 6 months or so didnt no what happened to him. Ive played him 10 or so games in the last 2 years or so, He likes playing alot of top notch players until he wins. The player with the higher S/B score moves on. So this is where the higher rated player really gets screwed at times especially against really top notch plyers with unrated or low rating, if they split with you. PS: Dont read this Samwise heheehehe You need to get a girlfriend that tells you to stop playing pente all together hehehehe Jayhawklov

chaosu

Home page
Posted: Jan 25, 2007, 12:10 PM

I am also interested who is Mighty Orion (rated so high). Also shavenjesus, i heard he is strong player from pente.org. With Utratos in my group i will be ranked 4th, i hope : )

pro_gram

Posted: Jan 25, 2007, 7:14 PM

I just hope I'll play good games with Jayhawklov and Samwise... BTW, how strong is Samwise now? :P

jayhawklov

Posted: Jan 26, 2007, 3:42 AM

Ive only played Shavenjesus one time at brain (in the finals of a tourney) I really dont know what his nickname is at Pente.net. Seems to be a good player, Now for Mighty Orion (Havent got a clue who he is) Has to be a 2nd name for someone but has only played 7 gms against Fstop, and a few other players total. The rating system gives a high rating but he hasnt played a top 20 or 30 player yet, so we will see how good he is. Now for Samwise, He has played most of the old Masters, I believe the first real young great player at Dweebos. When hes on hes the best, He doesnt play here alot but could be one of the most dangerous players in this tourney.

squirrlkng

Home page
Posted: Jan 26, 2007, 4:33 AM

actually mighty onion as he is known to me is a reg. player (not an alt).....doesnt play here and he can be pretty good.....

Message was edited by: squirrlkng at Jan 25, 2007 10:34 PM

Message was edited by: squirrlkng at Jan 25, 2007 10:34 PM

karlw

Posted: Jan 26, 2007, 5:30 AM

what happened to the brain, anyway? he was in, then i guess he backed out at the last minute! (which is fortunate for me, because i'm facing 100per instead of nosovs thanks to his exit)

spifster

Posted: Jan 30, 2007, 3:55 AM

Karl, some early predictions on section winners?

karlw

Posted: Jan 30, 2007, 6:33 AM

1 richardiii
2 utratos
3 jayhawklov
4 nosovs
5 karlw
6 zum
7 codypup
8 annegirl
9 thad
10 dweebo
11 alanp
12 mmammel
13 honor
14 lutalek
15 homebrew
16 aaru
17 yoss
18 turnberry1

I'm putting a lot of faith in these unrated polish players....

aaru

Home page
Posted: Jan 30, 2007, 9:12 AM

1. arczi - POLAND
2. utratos - POLAND
3. Jayhawk
4. nosovs
5. 100per - POLAND
6. zum - POLAND
7. 7 - POLAND
8. AnneGirl
9. Thad
10. dweebo
11. AlanP
12. tenuki
13. _HonoR_ - POLAND
14. Billmo8
15. homebrew
16. lets pray
17. yoss - POLAND
18. turnberry1

____
aaru

Replies: 189   Views: 443,113   Pages: 13   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Back to Topic List