Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Pente Pro tournament in BrainKing
Replies: 189   Views: 441,860   Pages: 13   Last Post: Jun 24, 2008, 7:32 AM by: aaru

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 189   Views: 441,860   Pages: 13   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
billmo8

Re: Pente Pro tournament in BrainKing
Posted: Feb 13, 2007, 2:53 AM

If one of your opponents is signed in on BK, there is a green dot to the left of his/her name. There are also ways to see if people are signed on by looking them up on ratings lists. Fencer runs BK and happens to be playing in this mega Pente tournament. He might be a good person to contact with questions.

billmo8

Posted: Feb 13, 2007, 3:09 AM

I just realized that I answered a question that nobody asked... nevermind...

squirrlkng

Home page
Posted: Feb 13, 2007, 3:11 AM

lmfao bill....but I'm sure someone somewhere is enriched nontheless.....cheers

mmark

Posted: Feb 14, 2007, 1:11 AM

hi chaosu, I'm definetely interested in hearing all the details of the real life tourneys that take place in Poland.
I heard there is a keryo one taking place - the first in Poland (and maybe anywhere!).

Please let us know somewhere - maybe start a thread specifically for posting the results of real life tourneys!

dziekuje,

Mark.

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Feb 14, 2007, 5:12 AM

Maciej Nowakowski -> utratos won both Renju and Pente Tournaments with Poland and Chehia players
but I don't see the Pente Results of this tournament

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Feb 14, 2007, 5:24 AM

I have a question
Little strange game between chaosu and utratos
First player (chaosu) just lose by time, the same time playing second game where he is P2.
Does it tacktick ? Poland players will play as a Team ?
Or each player for himself ?

squirrlkng

Home page
Posted: Feb 14, 2007, 6:42 AM

Tragedy is the reigning keryo tourney champ @ DSG for anyone interested.......Partica ran most of the tourneys back then and she's a keryo junkie to say the least Tragedy made an appearance yesterday for the 1st time in about a year, and his keryo crown is intact............I dunno how many keryo tourneys Partica ran off the top of my head, but there were at least a few........

karlw

Posted: Feb 14, 2007, 7:27 AM

I think I just got to 13 sure wins, putting me in the next round for sure. yippee.

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
chaosu

Home page
Posted: Feb 15, 2007, 7:35 AM

We do play for ourselves. It was funny situation. I had no time to play at the beggining and just scrolled down and readed 'last time to place a move: 2 feb~' and logged out. Just before midnight 1 feb i logged in, but i wanted to do more important things before i start thinking about a game (checking mailbox etc.). I tought this game will have its timeout in the middle of the day but it was just right after midnight! and i lost. Second game with Utratos... i tought i am playing winning position and realized (after 6th move) that colors on brainking are switched : ) Pity because i had chances of beating him too : (

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Feb 15, 2007, 2:28 PM

Yes, pity... Interesting to see more strong games.
Seems, I will win all 14 games in my section

thad

Home page
Posted: Feb 15, 2007, 10:21 PM

Congrats to Delgr who split with Richard III. They both have games remaining, but they are all against players rated in the 1200s, so I expect they will both sweep their remaining games and advance to round 2.

karlw

Posted: Feb 15, 2007, 11:29 PM

um you're forgetting that arczi is one of those 1200 rated players, and he's the #2 ranked pole, definitely top 20 player, could easily split a set with del or even rich. so rethink your expectation.

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
homebrew

Posted: Feb 16, 2007, 2:05 PM

Unless this tournament is run differently that Snut's Halloween tourney, if Del and richard split and each win the rest of their games, Del advances and rich goes home. I'm not aware of more than one player advancing from a section in a BK tourney. But I could be wrong and I hope I am because spifster is killing me

squirrlkng

Home page
Posted: Feb 16, 2007, 3:45 PM

Man talk about lame....I think it was the 1st week or so that I asked @ the BK discussion if a split set counted and only then did it dawn on me what we were up against.......I was pretty surprised to learn that BK designated games, not sets as wins and losses.

Message was edited by: squirrlkng at Feb 16, 2007 10:16 AM

billmo8

Posted: Feb 16, 2007, 4:41 PM

I think I can speak to the last two posts...

I glanced back at one of Snut's legendary tournaments and, as far as I could tell, determined that the reason only one player from each section advanced was because there were no REAL ties. People ended up with the same number of wins in some sections, but they beat different combinations of players to arrive at those win totals, so their S-B value differed thus breaking those ties. Here's what BrainKing has written on the subject of S-B values...

"S-B is an abbreviation for Sonneborn-Berger system. It is used to specify an order of players with the same number of points and is based on a theory that points earned with a stronger opponent are more valuable than with a weaker one. The S-B value is a total sum of points of opponents who lost the tournament game with the player and half points of opponents who drawn the tournament game with the player. Only if two or more players have the same number of "normal" and S-B points, they share the same final order."

That said, I would conclude that if Del and Richard both win out as speculated, they will have the same number of wins AND the same S-B value for having beaten the exact same combination of players (i.e. EVERYONE while splitting with each other), so they would both advance.

As for splitting sets, I am discovering quickly that it is a recipe for disaster because sections will inevitably be won by someone who is sweeping the majority of their sets or, like Nosovs, sweeping ALL of them! I am splitting sets with weaker opponents, so I AM GOING DOWN THE TUBES!

Now, if we could just get some people in this tournament to PLAY before Richard's kid applies to colleges!!! I can't believe people actually take literally the one-move-per-week minimum and have yet to complete any games to this point!!!

Replies: 189   Views: 441,860   Pages: 13   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Back to Topic List