Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: World Championship in Vegas, Aug. 2004
Replies: 68   Views: 164,022   Pages: 5   Last Post: Sep 1, 2004, 11:09 PM by: snut

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 68   Views: 164,022   Pages: 5   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
aaalpha

Re: World Championship in Vegas, Aug. 2004
Posted: Aug 11, 2004, 12:09 AM

I just got back from Vegas, & let me tell you, it was a blast! The number of entrants was fairly small, which meant that you could get to meet literally everyone who entered. And Vegas was a blast. (What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas) I feel like we really have a Pente community here!

Bodo Konze a.k.a. aaalpha, fybfy, dipshit2, taxman & maybe 1 I'm forgetting

partica

Posted: Aug 11, 2004, 12:50 AM

LMAO!

snut

Home page
Posted: Aug 12, 2004, 11:55 PM

Hello All,

I just wanted to say that I very much enjoyed meeting, playing, and hanging out with all of you during our time in Vegas. I hope that we will have even more time to hang out together at the next tournament. I'm already looking forward to it! And, I'm really hoping that more people will be able to make it next year. To those of you who didn't make it, you really missed out on a great 2 days of pente (just liked I missed out last year at OKC). If at all possible, I will NEVER miss a live pente championship tournament again. I personally believe that playing face to face in real life is the TRUE test of your pente abilities! Winning as player 2, that's what it's all about! (Dmitri was the only one who beat me as player 2, but I turned around and got him right back as player 2, THEN, he turned around and beat me as player 2 in our last game play off (I won a coin flip and chose to be player 1)! Talk about exciting, it was AWESOME!) I won't forget those games for a long while, Dmitri! In fact, I won't forget many of the games I played with everyone while I was there. I was really stoked to see such great players play so well over the board! Truly impressive. I hope all of our games are transposed to this webstie soon...

Take care everyone, and I hope to see all of you (and more) soon!

Best regards,
Scott

PS
Dean, remember my "Portland" variation that I opened with? Pretty cheesy, eh??? LMAO!!!

up2ng

Posted: Aug 13, 2004, 3:02 AM

Ha -- well I have to give you credit for unleashing an unusual defense in a timed game against an opponent who generally needs a lot of time. I am already working on my skill at 6 minute games and I will have my revenge at the next tournament, so be prepared!

I also want reiterate how much fun the Pente championship tournament was, and what a great time I had in Vegas. It was the best vacation I have had in quite some time. I think a little live tournament experience goes a long way and I'm looking forward to the next one already.

Although I came in 4th (one spot out of the prize money), I have no regrets at all about attending. I was involved in the longest match (3rd place match against snut -- 4 sets). I was able to sweep bugnone 2-0 early on, only to lose against him later in the semifinal match 3-1. I was able to split my set against the eventual champion. I played fast and furious moves up against a relentless clock with money on the line, and I got a chance to meet with and learn from the best. Not to mention Vegas is just awesome!

I want to express great thanks to Patricia and Greg, whose hard work in recent months made this event possible, as well as to Tom for running a fun and successful tournament. See you all next year.

-- be always,
Up To No Good

etnep

Posted: Aug 14, 2004, 4:40 AM

If any one wants a tee like the winner got(it wont say winner on it)they are 14.99 + shipping. If you would like one email me the size you would like. I can also make Mouse pads for 10.99
etnep@mugmasters.com

aaalpha

Posted: Aug 14, 2004, 7:45 AM

Scott, Patricia, Dean,Dmitri: can't tell you guys how much I wish you were here in Austin to go to the Lance Armstrong party with me. I had more fun hanging out with you guys than I had had in a long time. Greg, wish you'd been in Vegas. Hope to see you again, too. Also Vivian & also every one else!

Bodo

aaalpha

Posted: Aug 14, 2004, 7:54 AM

Patricia, why are you depriving everyone of a picture of your georgeous self?

galeenster

Home page
Posted: Aug 14, 2004, 5:47 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to Patricia and all of those who made the tourney possible. It was fun meeting and playing all of the players who were there. I bought a couple of books from Tom and all my kids will be in a school program of some sort starting September, so between the books and extra time everyone better watch out next year, lol.
Nice to meet everyone.
Gaylan

snut

Home page
Posted: Sep 1, 2004, 11:09 PM

I bet the lance armstong party was great, Bodo. And I too had a great time hanging out with you. Thank you for sharing that great bottle of whine with me and my family. We all enjoyed it very much! How about that EXCELLENT dinner we had afterwards? Great! Natalie says hi.

-Scott
PS
When are you going to be back here in Portland? I was actually expecting you already. I've got the pente set ready, and Bridgeport brewery is waiting for us to come drink their beer! Give me a call.

Replies: 68   Views: 164,022   Pages: 5   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]