Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: World Championship in Vegas, Aug. 2004
Replies: 68   Views: 164,015   Pages: 5   Last Post: Sep 1, 2004, 11:09 PM by: snut

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 68   Views: 164,015   Pages: 5   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
partica

Re: World Championship in Vegas, Aug. 2004
Posted: Jun 29, 2004, 7:33 AM

Hey everyone,
Just thought I would mention that I updated the tournament information @ www.playpente.com and sent those listed as interested on the tourney page at the above mentioned site an email containing the same information as posted.

Thought I would give a heads up on who has paid their registration fee:

Dmitri King - Thank You oh mighty one : )
Mufasa - Thank You Viv
Snut - Thank You Snut
Bodo Konze - Thank You man with many names ; )
Homebrew - Thank You 'brew
Partica - Thank You self (hehe)
up2ng - Thank You up2ng
Dweebo - Thank You Dweebo : )
Benjamin(www.allumbra.com) - Thank You Benjamin : )

I have promises of more to come, so lets all cross our fingers!

Can't wait to see you all there!

snut

Home page
Posted: Jun 29, 2004, 6:27 PM

I thought that the original plan was to have the tournament on Saturday (not Saturday AND Sunday). Am I wrong? I've already made my plans to return home Sunday morning and I'm not sure if I will be able to change them. I will try, but I may be screwed. It seems to me that we could probably get it done in one day....But, that may be too much pente playing in one day for most folks.

I'll try my best to get my plans changed, but I may be screwed.....

-Scott

dmitriking

Posted: Jun 29, 2004, 6:33 PM

i think we can dpo the main event in one day, then have sunday for d pente or keyro pente events or something like that.

partica

Posted: Jun 29, 2004, 7:14 PM

Yeah the second day may not be needed, I just like to plan for the unexpected. The lil dreamer in me likes to believe that if you host it they will come
With the 9 that have paid the fee (thus far), we can for sure get it done in one day!

Message was edited by: partica at Jun 29, 2004 1:14 PM

snut

Home page
Posted: Jun 29, 2004, 7:36 PM

I'm trying to change my travel plans right now....I'll get back to you soon.

homebrew

Posted: Jun 29, 2004, 8:51 PM

Good point Scott, but if we have 5-6 boards going at once, one afternoon/evening should be more than enough time to get it done. Ought to be able to get started early sat. afternoon and have a champion crowned by early evening. Then we can play for fun on Sunday and hopefully get guys like you and Dimitri to give us some pointers

homebrew

Posted: Jun 29, 2004, 8:54 PM

I meant to add that we should be able to get it done in that time frame with 20-25 players. I hosted a tourney last year with 20 players and we wrapped it up in about 6 hours so the 2nd day shouldn't be necessary. Looking forward to seeing ya there.

partica

Posted: Jun 29, 2004, 11:35 PM

AMEN TO THAT!!! WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY!!!!

up2ng

Posted: Jun 30, 2004, 3:36 AM

I thought I'd add my two cents and put an end to the disturbing direction this thread is going.

This tournament will be held on BOTH Saturday AND Sunday.

This is supposed to be a BIG tournament -- the hope was that it would be the biggest live pente tourney in recent memory. Understandably, east coasters may have to take Monday off work, but hey, I like to jump at excuses to take time off work and I'm sure lots of you do too! Hopefully clearing this issue up now will give some folks a chance to adjust their plans if there was any confusion. I know we are supposed to be encouraging people to come due to the slow trickle of committments, but the tournament really would be ruined if a significant number of participants decide not to complete the tournament after starting -- please, if you start the tournament, plan on completing it. There is no rule that says you can't show up on Saturday and hang out and play side games, etc if you absolutely positively life or death cannot be there on Sunday, but you will miss out on much of the fun!

There are a few reasons why this tournament is expected to require two days:

First, the hope is to get a larger turnout than most previous tournaments.

Next, the format of the tournament dictates that there will be more rounds of play for everybody (which is a good thing! you don't wanna just get knocked out in the first round do you?). This will consist of several rounds of round robin play (at least 3 rounds, probably not more than 5 rounds), which will be one SET of games each. The results of this round robin section of the tournament will essentially be used as seedings for the championship elimination bracket. However, although not everyone will qualify into the championship section of the elimination bracket, the plan (unless things have changed) is to allow EVERYONE to play in the elimination rounds, which will enable everyone's final placement in the tournament to be exactly determined -- not to mention enabling more fun for all! This will require an additional 3 - 5 rounds of play (or more, depending on turnout), and these rounds are MATCHES, consisting of ONE OR MORE SETS of pente games. If I remember correctly, the OKC tourney a year ago lasted long into the night and only 5 rounds of ONE SET of games each were completed.

Lastly, the amount of time that the facility is available in a given day is not unlimited. I can't remember exactly, but we may be limited to 8 or 10 hours of time per day.

Of course another wonderful side effect is that we'll all get to party in Vegas on Saturday night, but that's another story...

Events like this do not happen often. I hope everyone still on the fence decides to live a little and come have a blast in Vegas. And again, please be prepared to play for two days. If we have lots of spare time left over and there is enough interest, we can put together an unofficial d-pente event on the side. Or we can all go hit the town, or those who are vacationing with their families can get some extra time at the pool.

Can't wait to see you all there.

dmitriking

Posted: Jun 30, 2004, 5:36 AM

this is all well and good, but most of the people who had given a verbal or written commitment have NOT signed up yet. the number of entry fees thus far is dismal. i am tired of hassling people, I have spent too much time goading people into helping this along. the way things are going, i would be surprised and pleased to get the same 22 we had last time.

PROVE ME WRONG PEOPLE...... I had visions of a 50 person tournament, or at least 40. where is everyone???????
check he signup list and ask those people what the deal is!

snut

Home page
Posted: Jul 1, 2004, 2:17 AM

I was able to change my travel plans, and will now be in Vegas Friday - Monday.

I hope that more people will continue to pay their entry fees. As is, things aren't looking to good...

partica

Posted: Jul 1, 2004, 4:22 PM

Very happy to read that snut! Woohoooo! And there is a month before the tourney, we all know we are a bunch of slack @ssers so don't give up, this is going to be awesome!

richardiii

Posted: Jul 6, 2004, 4:46 AM

Hi,

i am snail mailing a check on July 6. should get it soon.

8^)

R3

galeenster

Home page
Posted: Jul 6, 2004, 6:50 AM

Hi.....
I sent my fee via Paypal with a few extra bucks for Vegas and have not heard from anyone. It's been about 2 weeks. Just curious if it was received? I am also staying at the Las Vegas Westin and will have a car. I am driving from Steamboat Springs, Co. if anyone from this region is heading that way I might have an extra seat.
Thanks,
Gaylan
(galeenster)pente.net
galeenster@yahoo.com

partica

Posted: Jul 6, 2004, 3:55 PM

Hey, I did receive your entry fee and thank you very much for registering!

I will be updating the registered list here asap. I moved this weekend and will get back into the swing of things asap.

Not sure when I will have online service at the house, should be tonight but one never knows these things for sure! They say between 8 - 5 today! LOL

FEVAS HERE WE COME!!!!!!!

Replies: 68   Views: 164,015   Pages: 5   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]