Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Pente.org sale/sold
Replies: 32   Views: 51,824   Pages: 3   Last Post: Jun 10, 2022, 3:04 PM by: mumix

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 32   Views: 51,824   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
haggis

Re: Pente.org sale/sold
Posted: Jun 2, 2022, 2:30 AM

I also wish to give a nod to rainwolf for his time at the helm. And for always being very gracious and accomodating to the players here.

Thank you very much, rainwolf!

zachburau

Posted: Jun 2, 2022, 5:19 AM

Those will still be honored and won't be disrupted

zachburau

Posted: Jun 2, 2022, 5:20 AM

Got it, could you explain a little further? Also any other requested updates or tweaks?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jun 2, 2022, 5:32 AM

@ zachburau - is your request for further information regarding etyrnal's request? If so, I think the original request was made in this thread

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
watsu

Home page
Posted: Jun 2, 2022, 5:58 AM

One other request I have is this: I know rainwolf put some efforts into creating an automated tournament feature awhile back. I think a good combination for automated tournaments would be in combination with the king of the hill game room. What I'm envisioning is basically using the established king of the hill system as a way to have an onsite tournament ladder system as was once tried offsite a few decades ago and described here
Basically, live game tournaments would be automated and occur on a regular basis in the king of the hill room. They would require a pre established minimum number of participants in order to occur. The king of the hill system would allow winners of and participants in multiple tournaments for the same game to see their relative standing on the king of the hill "ladder" for that game in comparison to other players and hopefully would encourage more participation in live game tournaments here. Currently, only the speed Pente king of the hill has active participants among live games, so there are a whole bunch of empty hills right now.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
invictus

Posted: Jun 6, 2022, 6:05 AM

well since you asked and everyone seems to be submitting their wishlist...
my wife plays yahtzee on another site.
she can customize her dice w/ her avatar or other pics.
if one could have personalized stones like the dice in that game that seems to me to be a cool feature.
i realize that would take a lot of programming but a feature i would pay for.
foregoing that, an option would be gold stones for crownholders.
it wouldnt benefit me but a cool incentive (not to mention somewhat intimidating)

bloodied but unbowed
zachburau

Posted: Jun 6, 2022, 4:07 PM

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm almost done with our product roadmap and I'm including the community feature requests. I'll add these to the list. Once I'm done with the roadmap, I'll send a link so you can take a look.

Curious, what site does your wife play Yahtzee on?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jun 6, 2022, 4:45 PM

Re: gold stones for crown holders - this should only be for a game in which a player currently holds the only crown; otherwise two crown holders could play against each other and all gold stones would be a bit confusing. Personally, I'm in favor of awarding gold stones to the current king of any given hill for that game, since it gives an extra incentive to stay active in the hill and is more dynamic than tournament crowns.

Message was edited by: watsu at Jun 6, 2022, 4:56 PM

invictus

Posted: Jun 6, 2022, 5:40 PM

an obvious fault in my suggestion that i realized shortly after posting, watsu.
the workaround to that could be the standard black and white stones with a crown inset bearing your current crown color.

zach, as for the site, my wife (katysmom here at pente.org) plays yahtzee at freethedice.com (she is maharet there).

feel free to contact either of us if we can be of assistance

bloodied but unbowed
dweebo

Home page
Posted: Jun 7, 2022, 3:12 PM

Best of luck Zach!

Hope pente.org continues to live on.

Thanks for keeping it alive all these years rainwolf!

Pente Rocks!
etyrnal

Home page
Posted: Jun 8, 2022, 9:09 PM

another idea for the FORUMS...

When you navigate to a thread, it automatically takes to to the page that has the oldest entry/page under that post which you have NOT seen.

mumix

Posted: Jun 9, 2022, 12:48 AM

Would be cool if the observers in live tables could go back and see the prior moves while the game is actually live, like you would in a turn-based game. The people playing, of course, would continue to not be able to do this.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jun 9, 2022, 2:42 AM

"go back and see the prior moves while the game is actually live" - I think this was possible for both players and non players in previous versions of the game room. Particularly useful during non rated exploratory games.

etyrnal

Home page
Posted: Jun 10, 2022, 12:06 AM

if going back and seeing prior moves is considered to be bad for for live players, i think this could be 'abused' by a person just creating a second account with some random name to use this function.

Is it considered bad form to go back and look at previous moves by the players in a live game?

Message was edited by: etyrnal at Jun 10, 2022, 1:03 AM

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jun 10, 2022, 12:18 AM

"Is it considered bad for to go back and look at previous moves by the players in a live game?"
I don't think there's ever been a discussion of that. Personally, I never had an issue with it when it was an option here. It may have simply been a streamlining move, IDK.
ETA: I guess potentially it could be distracting if a spectator were to say, "oh, you had a win on move #x with L12" during a live rated game. But that's a distracting spectator issue, not an issue with being able to look back during a game issue. In my experience, it's only really useful for unrated games anyway. During a rated game, I'm always trying to stay focused on next moves until the game is done.

Message was edited by: watsu at Jun 10, 2022, 12:30 AM

Replies: 32   Views: 51,824   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]