Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Trolls go away GUEST 25....
Replies: 37   Views: 205,924   Pages: 3   Last Post: Feb 24, 2014, 12:02 AM by: nodice

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 37   Views: 205,924   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
rainwolf

Home page
Re: Trolls go away GUEST 25....
Posted: Nov 26, 2013, 7:07 PM

I'm still looking for a proper way to deal with this. As fiveinarow noticed, legitimate guests with questions are at a disadvantage now. Moreover, if a player from another site wants to check this out and is surprisingly good for a newcomer, he might get allegations thrown at him for being a regular-in-hiding, and he can no longer speak up.

Abuse via the guest accounts happens occasionally, and it is accompanied by the suspicion that (s)he is a regular too. I definitely don't want to start policing, but the step I took to disable chat for the guest accounts is, sadly, one in that direction.

Aside from the boot button, which works if you own the table, did you also know you can "mute" a player in the game room?

I would like to hear from the supporters of muting the guests, given the arguments I have given that gagging them is not a universally good thing, do you still feel the same and/or why muting does not work for you?

kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Nov 26, 2013, 9:46 PM

Only wish for peace and good games.

But, if a player joins a table and is NOT going to be civil to all there. Please, think twice before you join a table already in "play". As a simple hello, hi, is why this is a live, website.

But, to Ignore...takes to much Energy and Effort.

Sorta, think the MM8,has more sense. As, he never gives ya the cold shoulder. Always has nice social skills!!!!! lol

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Dec 5, 2013 6:01 AM

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Nov 27, 2013, 12:37 PM

Just to clarify, I meant that when you double click on a player's name in the game room, there is a checkbox to "ignore chats from this player". So I was wondering, if you weren't aware of that, and all for muting guests (to avoid abuse) before, does this change your mind?

kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Nov 27, 2013, 7:34 PM

One bad apple doesn't mean there all rotten...

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Dec 5, 2013 6:03 AM

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 28, 2013, 8:21 AM

@ rainwolf, I am aware of the feature. I originally ran a fund raiser to pay Dweebo for his time to code those when we were having some serious issues with verbal abuse in the lobby and tables back in the day.

it is a feature that would seem to solve the problem, and for what ever reason either players don't know about it, or don't think it solves the issue.

sorry for my rant, was in a grumpy mood. my bad. edited.

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Nov 28, 2013 7:10 PM

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Nov 28, 2013 7:16 PM

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
badah_bing

Home page
Posted: Nov 28, 2013, 9:09 AM

rude ... is this what the forums are for here?

Message was edited by: badah_bing at Nov 28, 2013 9:11 AM

kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Nov 28, 2013, 9:45 AM

Urban Dictionary: trollwww.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll‎Cached
SimilarOne who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

‎Trolling - ‎Urban Dictionary: trollUrban Dictionary: trollingwww.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling‎Cached
SimilarBeing a "prick" (on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it'...Troll

(Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)‎Cached
SimilarJump to Background and definitions - In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, ...
‎Troll (disambiguation) - ‎Poe's law - ‎Flaming - ‎Patent troll,

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Dec 5, 2013 6:04 AM

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Nov 28, 2013, 11:55 AM

My question was not only directed at kris though, there were more supporters of muting the guests. I too thought that was the silver bullet, but fiveinarow made me think about it a bit more and I believe now I should reverse that decision, but that's why I came back here, to hear from everybody what their take was so I can make better decisions.

No one should be afraid of telling their opinion here, that goes for newcomers and veterans alike. I value newcomers' input because I want pente.org to be welcoming to newcomers, and I value veterans' input because I don't just want to attract new players, I want them to stay as well. We all view things differently, but I would strongly suggest to put as much effort as possible to have people see what you see, and to see what they see.

As a kid, I was often told to "be an adult about something", or solve conflicts like grown-ups do. Before we continue this back-and-forth, and before you make your next post, imagine you have a kid, who can see how you are reacting, take a minute to consider if this is the example you want to put out there for them to follow.

To get back on topic: I am still looking for arguments to convince myself it is a good idea to keep the guests muted instead of using checkbox at our current disposal. Anyone?

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 28, 2013, 7:12 PM

my bad every one. was in an unusually bad mood last night. i shouldn't had posted. sorry.
and sorry kris.

And, I don't feel i was trolling, it's never my intention to Troll. I was genuinely upset for several reasons. aside for personal life struggles that may have caused me to say it wrong, there were several things about Kris's posts that have been bothering me. I should not be rude about it tho.

I have sent a PM (private message) to kris explaining a list of my concerns, and I look forward to dealing with it privately.

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Nov 28, 2013 11:59 PM

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Nov 29, 2013, 3:00 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, as I am grateful for each and everyone of you!!!

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Dec 5, 2013 6:46 AM

I must refrain from the useless "thank you's", as after a short time, I have learned nothing is private.

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Dec 16, 2013 11:57 PM

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 29, 2013, 8:34 PM

Happy thanks giving.

kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Nov 29, 2013, 9:52 PM

Cyberstalkers come from all walks of life, and are often driven by disturbed emotions of inadequacy. Cyberstalkers can also be motivated by revenge over a feeling of being wronged, or by an anger due to unrequited love . Whichever their motivation, cyberstalkers want to control their prey, using means of direct intimidation or indirect manipulation. People that feel a loss of a cyber friend, may feel the need to use these terms, as a way to handle thier emotion attachments. But, the people behind an alias name, is part of the cyber world; as they do not have to be authenticated. Only if you truely have an authentic, formal, in person relationship, have you lost anything. There is a very fine line. Emotional attachment to a computer cyber person, of such. Can leave one to make statements, to be hurtful. Where they tend to have regrets of their action's.

I thought to google these terms, to understand better. As, I needed to know the true defintions.
It is very important to understand the meaning of certain words, phrases, etc. Hope these defintion's are helpful, now.

As, the use these terms are used to often, in hast. Think before you push send.

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Nov 29, 2013 9:53 PM

pente_man

Posted: Dec 1, 2013, 5:11 PM

On other gaming sites I have played as a guest without the ability to chat. A few times I wanted to communicate but I mainly just focused on the game and enjoyed playing. Muting guests is certainly not a flawless solution but my instinct is that it can improve some of the conflict here. I was a die hard fan of pente.org long before guest accounts existed. Honestly, I wouldn't miss the guest feature much if it were removed altogether.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Dec 1, 2013, 8:31 PM

yes but as up2ng pointed out, one of the reasons for the guest account is when the code gets glitched or what ever the case may be where members will freeze and get locked out of the lobby. and the only way back in is with a guest account. in this case perhaps guest accounts should only be available to members. that way it is being used for what it was designed for and there would be no doubt whether or not the guest is a regular member, we would in fact know for sure that it is. just my opinion.

With that said, I proposed a solution a long time ago. That, instead of using a guest account as a solution, give all members a big red emergency button that says:

"BOOT MY USER NAME FROM LOBBY NOW!"

or something to that effect. That would solve the problem and then we could finally do away with guest accounts.

Your thoughts people?

pente_man

Posted: Dec 2, 2013, 1:18 AM

It's great that rainwolf is giving pente.org his time and consideration. Let's welcome any changes made to the guest accounts. It can be an opportunity to improve the quantity and quality of pente here. Hopefully, this optimism is realistic. Let's throw some stones on the board, one way or another.

"Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity, and change. " - Brene Brown

Replies: 37   Views: 205,924   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Back to Topic List