Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Trolls go away GUEST 25....
Replies: 37   Views: 202,772   Pages: 3   Last Post: Feb 24, 2014, 12:02 AM by: nodice

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 37   Views: 202,772   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
kriswithak

Home page
Re: Trolls go away GUEST 25....
Posted: Dec 2, 2013, 3:36 AM

I am sad to say, but this has gotten way out of control.

It seems like rather than playing games here, it has turned into mind games.

Who cares who is who? If you are wondering why this place is not over flowing with player's, it is because no one is playing the games here.

There are more "trolls" that are regulars than guest now. It was to be a simple post, that has gone viral. It makes no sense any longer...I do belive that this is like beating a dead horse.

Meaning. you can not kill a horse that is already dead.FYI.

But, you can shoot yourself in the foot, that is what is happening now. I do not see any point any longer for this thread, as it is all wore out and shredded to pieces.

Rainwolf, I see no point in doing anything to guest accounts.
You can not go forward by going backwards!!! You can keep going in circles, but soon it will make you sick.

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Dec 2, 2013 3:37 AM

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Dec 5, 2013 6:07 AM

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Dec 2, 2013, 7:04 AM

Well,..:

I may admit your correct if you were to say that the current main (civil) topic is off track slightly from the threads "actual" Title name. In that case, I may agree that the basic civil conversation(s) here regarding how to resolve the guest feature/turmoil, should be relocated to a new thread, more appropriately named for such a topic.

That being said:

The other useful opinions coming forward are not a dead horse being beaten, in my opinion. Rainwolf's inquiries are valid. And several member's have contributed important things to consider, even if they are contradictory in some cases. still all important data to consider. And i don't think we have exactly arrived at a final conclusion for solution as of yet.

Additionally:

All things considered, I'm still interested to get feed back about my "Red button" proposal. Please feel free to refer to Up2ng's relative point on page 1, and then my point about said button on page 2.

In example:

Just tonight alone, while i was in a rated set with a member, they had a disconnect. Their name stayed at the table, but they could not get back in to play. That member timed out as a result. As it stands, if the player knew to come in as a guest and explain it, and if i remembered that i can forcefully close the table and lobby to basically cancel the set, the issue could had been somewhat prevented/bandaged.

Moreover:

Even better would had been a "red button" tho, so the member could had came back in under their regular name, and actually finished the set, instead of either timing out, or having to forcefully cancel the set.

Curiously:

Pursuant to the "red button", I can't seem to find a reason why my logic here is flawed,.. and if it is, could someone please clearly explain to me why I'm wrong here??????

Thanks in advance.

~Z

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Dec 2, 2013 8:54 AM

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Dec 2, 2013, 4:49 PM

I don't agree with a couple of things. (I only want to comment on what was written, nothing is meant as a personal attack.)

In my mind, pente.org is doing better, I see a lot more people online than half a year ago. I don't see it as a problem that people are "browsing", they are reading the forums, playing turn-based games or sharpening their skills in the database, and each of those things is good, it means pente.org has something to offer to them.

The game room is not the main feature to everybody, I prefer to only play speed there, and I prefer turn-based for regular games, even more so since I don't have to be at my computer to play. I'm a picky person, but I can choose what and who I play, and I don't think I need to spend more time in the game room to become a more valuable member. To me, we are all equals here, whether you're here to study the database or only play live games, no one's voice should matter more than the other based on your playing habits or ability.

I want to keep this a place where everybody can do what they feel like, and not put restrictions based on the number of posts you made or the number of games you play. People come here from all walks of life, people who can become your best friend and people who won't respond to a single message, or people who suddenly switch to their native language with you in the room. If you have expectations about them, then just like in real life, you will be disappointed at times. There are nice people, and less nice people out there and in here.

To respond to a side topic: the big red button sounds like a plan, I'll see if I can make that happen. But even then I am not convinced I should do away with the guest accounts. It's a quick and easy way to check out the game room.

pente_man

Posted: Dec 4, 2013, 9:16 AM

It's been a while since I played live, but users were experiencing some issues. Sometimes when playing a live game it would freeze for me. I would know it was frozen if my opponent hadn't made a recent move or if I typed but it wouldn't display. For a while I could just close the game room and open it again to continue playing. Eventually this method stopped working and I found that I could not re-enter. My name would still appear logged in the game room although I had closed it down. A band-aid solution was to then log in the game room as a guest. At that point(usually) my name would be forced from the game room and then I could log back in with my user name and continue the game. We could usually complete our games because of the guest accounts. The red button proposed would help users skip the step of logging in as a guest but still there is the issue of the freezing game room. If it no longer freezes then there isn't a need for the red button in this situation and the user experience is simpler.

User names can sometimes become stuck in the game room if users have a crash or have a bad internet connection. A red button to boot your user name from the game room could be useful in those situations but this strikes me as a band-aid again. I think its preferable if user names never become stuck in the game room.

The logistics of these fixes are another consideration entirely.

pente_man

Posted: Dec 4, 2013, 5:18 PM

zoeyk has suggested to me that logging into the game room as a guest does not boot your stuck user name. He tested it by disconnecting his internet while in the game room. It may have just been a coincidence.

Although I still wonder if the method works when the game room has frozen. It seemed to work a number of times. I don't know.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Dec 4, 2013, 8:28 PM

You're right about bandaid solutions, but in the short term, these will have to do. I'll dig deeper into the red button-suggestion, it sounds sound to me.

There is a whole lot of client-server code in there, and frankly, I know nothing specific about that. I will browse through the code and try to improve the way disconnects are handled, but that will be a time consuming task. I'll bring it up again when (or if) I find it.

Lastly, the gameroom has been updated again, guests are allowed to chat again and registered users are made aware of the option to ignore guests' chats when they login.

Fingers crossed

valleyboy

Posted: Dec 24, 2013, 2:40 AM

There are enough "guests" already...people that sign up, play a game or three, and never come back...at least under the same name. Possibly easier to track "troll" bad behavior under a hard name...

nodice

Posted: Feb 24, 2014, 12:02 AM

seems like very few people are considering the view point of new players. just as in any cross section of the population, there are nice people and not so nice people. I have witnessed abuse from members and guests, but existing members never get dealt with. it was disappointing to see guests being universally muted as a knee jerk solution for a few abusive guests and as an appeasement to a few influential members with chips on their shoulders. seems like there would be a way to have an option ignore the chat from any player on the spot, rather than a simple minded broad based ignore option of all guests. how could anyone expect membership to increase by not allowing new players and prospective members to ask a question or even say hello? yet, to several influential players, this was a reasonable solution. hmmmmm is a new player going to understand what is going on? too bad if they don't understand, because they cant even ask. good gaming requires looking at your opponents point of view, not just your own. seems like that way of thinking would apply to growing membership. good to see that cooler heads have prevailed and guests are now considered somewhat human again, although it was scary to see the knee-jerk reaction in the first place.

Replies: 37   Views: 202,772   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Back to Topic List