Home » Forum Home » Development

Topic: Some ideas to enhance 'playing with computers'
Replies: 7   Views: 29,659   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 15, 2009, 4:34 AM by: jackschidt

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 7   Views: 29,659   Pages: 1  
galmacky

Some ideas to enhance 'playing with computers'
Posted: Jan 5, 2009, 3:49 PM

Hi there,
I am a newbie here. In an effort to learn Pente, I often play with AIs. While playing with them, some ideas arose as follows:

1. Allow 'Undo' for every human turn. This will really help newbies like me. I am pretty sure this is feasible because the space needed for the path is only linear and I assume that AI will make a new move based only upon the current stone positions.

2. Start from a saved / created status. If my assumption is right, this is also feasible.

Please correct me if my assumption is wrong in the first place.

carson75

Home page
Re: Some ideas to enhance 'playing with computers'
Posted: Jan 7, 2009, 12:01 AM

Yeah, I would love to see an undo button for the AI that can go back more than one move...especially considering that games with the AI are unrated anyway. I would be willing to put a small donation into the pot to have that kind of feature. Would anyone else want to chip in to make this feature?

jackschidt

Posted: Jan 11, 2009, 9:38 AM

Cool ideas. But is that what it takes to get something done around here? Throw money at it? Sounds like a politician. Ok dude, I'll see you $5 bucks for the undo option; and raise you another $5 for a 1700 level mm_ai9, and a 1900 level mm_ai10!

weszy

Posted: Jan 13, 2009, 6:34 AM

I agree that it would be helpful to allow the computer to undo. I can't imagine it would be too difficult to implement since human players can undo already.

baddsixx9

Home page
Posted: Jan 13, 2009, 12:35 PM

As Carson already eluded to, the AI games do allow for an undo, but what is being asked for here is the option to undo multiple turns to untangle AI games, explore alternate lines, etc I assume. Basically I see 2 obstacles with this request-

1)The code for multiple turn undos in a current game would be quite more complex than the single turn version we have at this time and could perhaps even tax the server kind of like the 'anti-pente' horror stories that Partica once told me about which crashed the site temporarily.

2)The ability to explore lines, alternate responses, etc. is readily available in the format of our database which for some odd reason seems to be a tool that people don't embrace as newbies, but would offer the requested assistance along with the answers from thousands of other games as well. For the most part, unlimited undos in AI games would be a redundant and less comprehensive (and perhaps unstable) alternative to simply utilizing the database.

I do have a question more out of curiosity than anything Peter, but perhaps it could turn into something worth looking at.......My understanding from speaking with you last year is that the AI works off of an 'opening book' and optimal responses which Mammel incorporated in the proggie........Would it be feasible to make the AI's suggested openings and responses available in the form of an option button in the database?

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Jan 14, 2009, 3:45 PM

I have no plans to add this functionality to the AI hosted at pente.org

I did have plans to create a pay-to-download program that could play up to AI 12 using marks' AI, plus the ability to go back to any previous position (or start at any position), plus a bunch of other database integration features.

Unfortunately I started that about a year and a half ago and had to put it on hold some time ago. Pente doesn't pay the bills yet I'm afraid

Here's a teaser

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
baddsixx9

Home page
Posted: Jan 14, 2009, 7:15 PM

I think it was Thad who originally suggested the practice board feature which is basically what we're all attacking from different angles......you're a badass Dweebo! It looks great!

jackschidt

Posted: Jan 15, 2009, 4:34 AM

thanks for the info guys. i get too busy to play people online; something comes up, and i have to go. so many times i prefer the computer because it will wait until later, even if "later" is a couple of hours later.

dweebo, that does look cool, let us know ...

Replies: 7   Views: 29,659   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]