Home » Forum Home » Help

Topic: Cookies
Replies: 7   Views: 22,962   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 29, 2003, 9:39 PM by: vitals

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 7   Views: 22,962   Pages: 1  
vitals

Cookies
Posted: Nov 20, 2003, 11:54 PM

When logged in as either my regular ID or my speed ID, I have to delete my cookies before I can change IDs. Is there any simple fixes that would allow me to not have to delete my cookies every time I wanted to change IDs?
Thanks Master D
Peace Out
V

dweebo

Home page
Re: Cookies
Posted: Nov 21, 2003, 1:43 AM

This problem is annoying, I thought I added code to correct the issue.

When you say you delete your cookies, you have to delete ALL of your cookies? What browser are you using because I don't have this problem using IE 6, or any Mozilla browser.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
vitals

Posted: Nov 21, 2003, 2:16 AM

I am using IE 6 and yes, I have to delete all cookies in my browser before it will let me log in. Well hang on, lol, it will let me log out, then log in with my other ID, but as soon as I link to anything else besides the main page, ie play game, forums, anywhere, it shows me logged in again with the previous ID.

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Nov 21, 2003, 2:43 PM

This is a very weird one. I was able to reproduce it one time, then it wouldn't happen again for me in another 10 tries or so. I found that the time it happened I was getting two cookie files saved, one for www.pente.org and one for pente.org. It should only save one for pente.org.

Can you verify for me that the same thing is happening on your end. Not sure which OS you're using, but on Win2000 and WinXP cookies are in C:\Documents and Settings\[your login name]\Cookies. Look for files called something like [your login name]@gameServer[2].txt. If you find 2 files, then you've got the same problem. Regardless of how many you find, if you could email me the cookie files that would be great! I can't figure out why it only happens every once in awhile.

Pente Rocks!
up2ng

Posted: Nov 21, 2003, 3:42 PM

I don't know if this is the same problem or a separate, related issue. These cookies seem to cause me a world of trouble. Most notably, whenever I navigate to the website, there is a very high probability of my computer hanging up so badly that it crashes completely and I have to hit the power button to reboot. It does not happen every time but it doesn occur frequently, maybe even most of the time. However, if I manually delete the cookies (usually i just delete my whole cache to make things easier) I always get to the site pain free. I have never (or at least very rarely) crashed while nagivating to the site if I had just deleted the cookies immediately previously.

In this case, if I catch it quickly, I can sometimes rescue the computer by using CNTRL+ALT+DEL and closing the browser that way. This causes very funny behavior that feels like memory corruption, such as when a window is minimized it leaves "streaks" accross the computer that show the "animation" of the window minimizing itself onto the taskbar, and the animations never get cleaned up or refreshed by the OS. If I were to delete the cookies and visit the site at this time, I get a strange "blue screen" state where I cannot see any tables or any names on the list (it's all blue) and if I manage to get onto a table (being invited or guessing where a join button might be) the game board is all blue. After 20 minutes of waiting idle this problem fixes itself. I have discovered a way to speed this process up by running a certain genre of games from my ms-dos prompt, but I digress.

The only other time my computer crashes completely is when I have been actively participating on the site for several hours -- all of a sudden, when in the middle of trying to send a chat or submit a move my cursor in the chat box will freeze and I am unable to close the window or do anything else on my computer, even CNTRL+ALT+DEL, and have to hit the power button. This one feels like a memory leak and may or may not be a similar problem to the cookie problem described previously.

For the record, I am running less than the most recent versions of some things. I currently use IE 5.5 (perhaps it's time to upgrade) and Windows 98. Also, I visit the site the SAME way every time. I type www.pente.org/ into the address bar in IE and hit enter. As we speak, I have two cookies in my cache -- the first one listed is for www.pente.org/gameserver and the second one listed is for pente.org/gameserver

I know I'm not the only one who has these types of problems and has determined that deleting cookies before every visit to the site provides the best solution. Hope this helps.
UP2NG

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Nov 21, 2003, 4:04 PM

Thanks for all the information, it is good (and bad) to hear I'm sorry you've been having such troubles. I must say that Windows 98 is the worst operating system ever, I was forced to run it at work for several years and it would crash at least 3 times a day. Consider upgrading if you can, you'll notice significant improvements!

Sounds like the 1st problem might be cookie related, or might not. It is hard for me to believe that cookies could cause your browser to crash, I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. But having to delete all cookies before visiting is unacceptable, that must be fixed!

Your other problems with the actual game room sounds like you're simply running low on memory, java programs will start acting strange where there isn't enough memory.

Another thing I would suggest to people having problems with IE is to switch to Firebird, you might have better luck. Try it at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/ It's small and easy to use, not much different than IE but with more features and more up to date.

Pente Rocks!
dweebo

Home page
Posted: Nov 29, 2003, 9:34 PM

Ok, I have made some changes to try and fix the cookie problems, everyone will have to log in again once (old cookies won't work).

Please let me know if you still are having problems.

Thanks,
-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
vitals

Posted: Nov 29, 2003, 9:39 PM

Thanks a bunch!! Works fine.

Replies: 7   Views: 22,962   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]