Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: Tournament question
Replies: 3   Views: 26,417   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 18, 2003, 9:53 AM by: progambler

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 3   Views: 26,417   Pages: 1  
chuckles

Tournament question
Posted: Jan 17, 2003, 6:00 PM

I was wondering what would happen if a person tried contacting their opponent to set up a time schedule but don't get any sort of responce back.
Thanks,
Chuckles

progambler

Re: Tournament question
Posted: Jan 17, 2003, 7:30 PM

Chuckles -

Good question. My suggestion would be to wait about 2-3 days and then send another one and say something like '2nd notice' or '2nd request' or something. Some people only check their E-mail a couple of times per week and/or have only limited internet access, BUT they do need to know that during a tourney, they should at least check it every other day during the start of a new round.

If they don't respond to two E-mails, then it's up to you whether you want to continue to follow up. Although it's not explicitly stated in the rules, as far as I'm concerned, two E-mails is sufficient to prove that you attempted to contact him. I say two because it's always possible that the first one somehow went astray.

So the simple answer to your question is, send at least one other E-mail to him. If he doesn't respond by the end of the round (Monday 1/27), forward me the first two E-mails that you sent to him and send me a note that he never responded. I will then make sure that he is reflected as forfeiting his 4 games to you.

One other thing, as stated in the rules, all players should keep all E-mails sent related to attempted contacts with their opponents until after the entire round is completed. Although it won't be an issue most of the time, if there is somehow a dispute as to who contacted whom and problems with coordinations issues, it will help out a lot to have the E-mails.

Also on coordination problems, the rules are fairly explicate, but the director may have to make a judgement call. For instance, if he FINALLY responds to you only 2 days before the end of the round, but you do not have time to play in those 2 days, we would have to assess the situation. The rules contain provisions for possible problems related to coordination in the last 3 days of a round. As I recall, we might give an extra day and ask YOU what time if ANY time would be MOST convienient for YOU including the extra day. We would then REQUIRE your opponent to play you at that time because he was at fault in waiting that long to begin with, or else he will forfeit.

Anyway, all of that said, we hope that it never comes to that kind of situation. I think that virtually all players will be sporting enough to be flexible in their schedules to complete their matches. Matches can even be split over 2 different days if 4 games cannot be fitted into both player's schedules in one sitting, although that is not recommended because further coordination issues could result.

Gary Barnes,
Section B director

chuckles

Posted: Jan 17, 2003, 9:35 PM

I don't know how to forward emails and also I'm emailing my opponent through this site if that matters with forwarding emails to you. So if you can explain how, thanks.

progambler

Posted: Jan 18, 2003, 9:53 AM

Chuckles -

Ah, LOL, I guess I wasn't thinking too hard there. You are correct, there's no way that you could forward them to me if you E-mailed him through this site, which is what most people will do. Let's revise that. If you have already tried to E-mail him twice, you can just wait until near the end of the round (or try some more if you want). If you don't get a response by 1-2 days before the end of the round (1/25-1/26), send me an E-mail letting me know of the situation. I'll then send one to him. If he doesn't respond, then he will forfeit.

I'm attempting to be sporting and give people the benefit of the doubt here. If someone's opponent does not respond, there's nothing in the rules that says you have to let the director know 1-2 days before the end of the round. You could just wait until the round was over to tell the director. To be fair, I would then send him one confirming that he had received your E-mails and give him a day to respond. That should take care of MOST of situations.

Gary

Replies: 3   Views: 26,417   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]