Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: Pente Tourney
Replies: 71   Views: 172,407   Pages: 5   Last Post: Jan 29, 2017, 6:25 PM by: madmike

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 71   Views: 172,407   Pages: 5   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
zoeyk

Home page
Re: Video announcement, Pente Tourney
Posted: Sep 4, 2015, 1:35 AM

The sign up ratings limit has been lowered to 1000.
So greens can now join the tourney.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
karlw

Posted: Sep 4, 2015, 7:42 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzOHq5WbQ8k

Edit: Can someone PLEASE tell me which browser/plugins/settings combination will actually allow me to load the main room? I've tried Chrome, FF, Edge and even IE and none of them work.

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Sep 4, 2015, 3:28 PM

Chrome does not work out of the box and will soon not work at all anymore for the game room.

Firefox together with Java should work seamlessly. After installation, you will probably have to click inside the newly opened window to enable Java, and then you will probably be prompted with a security prompt asking you to allow applets signed by "Walied Othman" to run on your computer. After saying yes to that, the Game Room should load.

If you want to run Java in browsers on a mac, you need to download and install an additional binary you can grab from here

spifster

Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 1:42 AM

>and what about karlw and seven and richardiii?
>will they be defending their crowns? i assume you will

Missed one crown

That said, I'm rusty as all hell.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 1:50 AM

Spif,... none of us have been doing live play much for over a year or longer. About half of us have just been doing turn based games. So, as to clock pressure, we are all rusty as hell. As to moves, some have been studying, not all tho. You have 3 months to plot.

GREAT to have you join, this will be a very fun tourney.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 1:54 AM

Gee Spif, if you win how will we do this if you have both a silver and gold crown for regular pente. Wal will need to code it so both crowns stand side by side next to your name. That would be just ridiculously cool haha.

spifster

Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 1:55 AM

Haha trust me, not happening

Both good and bad to hear live play hasn't been happening - good in that maybe 3 mos will be enough for me to not totally embarrass myself, bad in that it's a bummer not to see this more active!

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 2:03 AM

Well, I'm hoping to revive the old energy with this tourney/reunion. If this doesn't work then I don't know what to say. Yeah masters have been in a slight slumber, but we are here now, and it's great to see. I'm sure you will do ok. Just make sure to stalk some of the tourney games at BK to see whats current. Let me know if you need links to those. Also, we have a downloadable DB prog now, where you can privately record entire move trees with move values. Very handy for mapping. Just don't use during live rated play. Let me know if you want a link.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 2:10 AM

here is the link to your very own personal data base to map and design your lines in. enjoy.

(pente db)

spifster

Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 2:10 AM

Sweet - thanks zoey!

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 2:15 AM

Spif, we are at 15 players, and you are number 8. So if it stays that way you will get a BYE the first round. Which buys you an extra 3 weeks to study.

Subject to change.... Others may join.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 5:01 AM

So, I just went out on a limb here. I looked into all the red and yellow players that are inactive and are known to be good. Pretty much players I know or know of. And, I started emailing them. Here is where the limb comes in. The players who made their emails hidden, I used the admin page to reveal the emails to my self, and emailed them, inviting them to the tourney. Hope none gets mad. Most of the great players that are MIA, have their emails hidden, So I felt compelled to use admin tools to reach out to them.

So far I have reeled in Spifster. Lets see who pops in next

spifster

Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 6:49 AM

Ah so is it structured as double/single elim or something? I had figured swiss - which wouldn't require any byes and would allow more than 16 without having to hit another tier of entry (32, 64, etc). I'm running a swiss-style tourney for a videogame speedrunning league I'm involved in and I must say it's been hugely successful - way more so than our previous single/double elim tourneys! More work to run, of course, and requires more races from everyone. World cup-style group stages feeding a final single/double elim bracket might be a good in-between?

Apologies if there was previous discussion on format and I'm coming in here and re-opening that line of question - I trust it'll be a great tourney either way!

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 9:24 AM

Here's a proper link to the PenteDB program, the one hosted here on pente.org is severely outdated. Dweebo recently open sourced it and put it on GitHub

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 7, 2015, 11:46 AM

Thanks Rainwolf.

Spif, I'll try to address that tomorrow once Ive had some rest. It's not a one line answer, and there is also room for discussion too.

Replies: 71   Views: 172,407   Pages: 5   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]