Home » Forum Home » Development

Topic: Database upgrades
Replies: 15   Views: 70,392   Pages: 2   Last Post: Mar 15, 2019, 1:54 PM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 15   Views: 70,392   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
rainwolf

Home page
Database upgrades
Posted: Nov 25, 2017, 6:11 PM

I added a feature to filter ratings of both opponents with a lower bound. Enhancement of this (or any other) feature can be discussed here.

One more feature (27/11/2017): the player name fields can now be a comma-separated list of players.

And one more (28/11/2017): wildcards are now supported.

madmike

Re: Database upgrades
Posted: Nov 28, 2017, 2:49 PM

Rainwolf,
Thanks

dmitriking

Posted: Nov 28, 2017, 6:11 PM

Rainwolf,

As always, thanks for your dedication to continued improvements to the site. I was traveling a lot the past week so I haven't been checking the forums or making very many moves, and I only just late last night saw the new changes.

(a note to all - when using the ratings filter, don't forget to reset it when trying to do a general search. I was looking for a specific game of mine to study, one that I knew I had played, but I couldn't find it no matter how many searches I did. Then I realized I hadn't reset the ratings filter, so it wasn't showing the game.)

brf

Home page
Posted: Dec 1, 2017, 2:58 AM

pretty cool, still messing with it to test it all out. though the filter both ratings with a lower bound may need some adjustment. it works for sure. though if the game is an imported game (BK for instance) I notice that the text of the game shows either players rating as "?".

Obviously the BK rating never made it in to ANY of the imported games from BK so the ratings filter feature will likely exclude ALL non-pente.org games (like PBEM, IYT, etc), unless you select a rating of "0".

I'd love to be able to help retro that missing rating data back into the database, likely could from PBEM or BK but I don't think IYT ever got smart enough to figure anything out like that. IYT's rating system was pretty pente.net style simplistic with I believe a winning percentage as your rating, so no fixing that.

A better filter for rating might just be a field next to each player (1,2) name (default of 0). This way if someone wanted to see a game where P2 won against a 2300 level "Player 1" this would be relatively easy to do.

Also this would give the flexibilty to bound one element of the player# search (or both). If someone was trying to see for example what 2100 rating P2 openings led to higher % chance of win for the field "Winner: Player 2", that might help them hone some of their opening moves.

I'd think another thing to search out would be instances where a higher ranked player lost, regardless of what the ranking of the other player was. Having a per player rating filter would allow this kind of thing, but the dual bound filter as currently implemented wouldn't.

Will look more into the other changes you made rainwolf and see what I can either make them show me or not show me . Will post back any anomalies or unexpected things here if I encounter any.

dmitriking

Posted: Dec 1, 2017, 4:35 AM

Excellent points, Brf.

I haven't used the rating filter too much yet but it's cool to have.

Reasons I haven't used it much:

1) As Brf said, I'm not sure what effect it would have on IYT, BK, and PBeM.

2) "1900" means different things. In the days of real-time pente play, and before set-based scoring, 1900 truly meant "Pente master." Few attained that mark. I think my highest was 2030 or something like that, and after playing some games after a lengthy layoff, I lost a bunch of games and settled in at 1884. There are many strong players below 1900 in real-time Pente. Gary Barnes, one of the all-time greats, retired at 1964, I believe. Zoeyk, Richardiii and Nosovs, 3 of the legends of the game, especially real-time play, were able to attain some very impressive real-time ratings, but none above 2400.

However, with the advent of turn-based play and set-based scoring, we now have lots of players in the "red" category, and several have eclipsed the 2700 mark. As a result, I'm not yet sure how to most effectively use the rating filter to adjust for all this.

3) I'm not sure, but if I understand this correctly, setting the filter to 1800 will only include games in which BOTH players were above 1800? I think this is what Brf was referring to in part of his post. I could envision a game scenario in which I might want to study all game played by players above [some specific rating] against all players of [any rating].

All that being said, it's still an excellent addition to the search parameters.

I did have one other thought: I've always wondered whether it would be feasible to have the "player name" fields have the option of having an "or" search instead of an "and." For example, if I type my name into both fields, it will return zero games, because it would search for games in which player 1 AND player 2 were "dmitriking," and I've never played against myself. But an "Or" search would return all games I've played, which could be a neat feature. As of now, it can be done with only one extra step by doing two separate searches, one each with my name in player 1 and player 2. But an additional benefit of the "or" would be that if someone wishes to study a position he knows he has played several times on both sides, he could call up all those games with a single "or" search by putting his name in both fields.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Dec 1, 2017, 2:08 PM

I added some of the suggested updates.

If there are any searches that are causing issues, please report the parameters here so I can reproduce those issues and investigate.

As for imported BK games, in the past zoeyk provided a big batch of BK games he scraped. Since BK seems to go belly-up by the end of the year, if anyone knows how to scrape and get more games from there, I'll do the effort of importing them into the database.

brf

Home page
Posted: Dec 1, 2017, 6:49 PM

As far as the BK games, hold off on that. the DSG code generator is still missing key data for ratings. I've emailed Fencer at BK and asked him if he can fix that to re-add the missing player ratings data (along with Event description, round information, and whether the game was rated or not). I'm more concerned about the ratings being added since that could potentially make the ratings filter more useful. Will get back to you with what he comes back with and we can go from there on updating Pente.orgs BK game database to match the current date.

dmitriking

Posted: Dec 2, 2017, 2:21 AM

Weird database glitch?

Names with a space do not return results at the moment. However, if I replace the space with the wildcard (*), the results show.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Dec 2, 2017, 8:36 AM

There are no usernames with a space, what kind of behavior were you expecting with a space?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Dec 2, 2017, 1:47 PM

There are some users from IYT, most notably Dmitri Krasonosov and Pente champ whose names show up here with spaces in them when viewing their IYT games in the DB. Searching in the DB for their names no longer returns their games (it used to), but the games can be pulled up by position. Example - the position shown in the first post in this thread was played by Pente champ as P1 against shinerfan as P2:
https://www.pente.org/gameServer/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=27&threadID=231521

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Dec 2, 2017, 1:57 PM

I get it now, should be fixed now.

brf

Home page
Posted: Dec 11, 2017, 5:10 AM
Table_crop_bug.jpg (223.4 K)

Caught a bug with selecting site "Brainking"
and then the Event field gets so wide that everything on the right side crops off (see attached picture).

it appears there are some smiley codes and HTML codes in some event titles making the field so big it breaks your formatting and truncates the right side of the DBASE webpage.

I've selected the biggest offender (for EVENT) as seen in the picture. there are a few of these that need cleaning up to remove the excessive field size which is breaking the rest of the page a bit.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Dec 11, 2017, 9:04 AM

I'll clean them up when I'm sure there are no new games coming from BK to import. For now I've made those drop down boxes fixed width, that should prevent messing up the layout.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Dec 11, 2017, 4:59 PM

I added a convenient selection option between "live and turn-based", "live only", and "turn-based only" games.

brf

Home page
Posted: Dec 11, 2017, 8:11 PM

Nice work on all this, some of this stuff has been outstanding requests for years. Dmitri had a good point with the "OR" request above, and I've ran into searching for lines as P1 and having to redo the same search as P2 many times over the years (just to see the whole picture). I'm glad you instituted allowing both player fields to be searchable with the "match player 1 or player 2" box.

Between that modification and having the foresight to include a checkbox to "exclude timeouts" (that is a very smart move!) the database functionality is excellent right now.

I took a look at this new modification you did with the live and turn-based. It wasn't immediately obvious to me but I found what you did. Since Pente.org is really the only site that has live play, you must enter your search criteria then select SITE "Pente.org" and EVENT "All Events" for live and turn-based, or "Live Game" for just that game type, or finally "Turn-based Game" to see only games of that type. (All that while Site "Pente.org" is selected as the only selected site!)

It's really cool seeing the level of detail you can drill down to. With all those games we've really needed these modifications to parse meaningfully through the sheer volume of game data.

Thanks Rainwolf, myself and I'm sure many more users are really going to appreciate your coding efforts!

Replies: 15   Views: 70,392   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]