Home » Forum Home » Development

Topic: Public/Open invitations
Replies: 10   Views: 30,456   Pages: 1   Last Post: Feb 15, 2014, 3:35 PM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 10   Views: 30,456   Pages: 1  
rainwolf

Home page
Public/Open invitations
Posted: Jan 10, 2014, 1:04 PM

It is with deep sadness that I announce a new "feature". I have limited the use of open invitations. An open invitation will not show up for you if you are already playing that particular game against the person inviting.

For example, if you are playing a connect6 game against korea1985, and she posts a public invitation for connect6, then you will not see that invitation or be able to accept it.
Note that this does not affect direct invitations, in the hypothetical case above, you would still be able to see and accept direct invitations from korea1985.

As usual, I welcome any input/comments on the matter.

Message was edited by: rainwolf at Jan 11, 2014 10:46 AM
Edited to add: If you are not playing a gomoku (for example) game against korea1985, then you can still see public invitations for gomoku from her.

kriswithak

Home page
Re: Public/Open invitations
Posted: Jan 10, 2014, 7:35 PM

I am not sure, I understand what this means?

valleyboy

Posted: Jan 10, 2014, 8:11 PM

Keeps people from sucking up every single invitation from you, not leaving any for new players you may want to attract. Quite a few new members have annoyed me in this manner, and though I generally enjoy as much pente as I can get, I don't see any point in a dozen or more games at the same time with the same player. Not a bad move Rainwolf, until certain members learn manners...

kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Jan 10, 2014, 11:07 PM

Okay, I get it...as I don't play turnbased.

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Jan 10, 2014 11:17 PM

valleyboy

Posted: Jan 10, 2014, 11:15 PM

Think it rude to decline an invitation.

Rainwolf, it works! I'm finding quite a few NEW open invitation acceptances, as well as familiar players that now actually see the new invitations and begin play. So far, so good.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jan 11, 2014, 9:29 AM

Glad to hear it's working. I had the same issue with some players, and eventually stopped posting open invitations because of it.

It's sad it had to come to this, but at least it makes pente.org a bit battle hardened for the future.

cfisch

Posted: Jan 13, 2014, 6:32 PM

Makes perfect sense to me, for purposes already stated.

But I would ask why it wouldn't perhaps be even more effective to add the constraint for consecutive sets between any two players as well. And of course, this would apply to *open* invites only.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jan 13, 2014, 6:50 PM

Hey cfisch,
I am not sure what you mean with your suggestion. Do you mean to allow 2nd set obtained via open invitations but not a 3rd?

cfisch

Posted: Jan 14, 2014, 2:53 AM

I do apologize rainwolf -- in retrospect, I indeed did not state my point very well.
Allow me to pose the idea a bit differently:

Let's say that you posted an open-invitation...and I accepted that invitation. And let's say that you beat me hands-down in the set (most probably).

Now let's suppose that you wish to find a different, and perhaps more worthy, opponent -- so you post another "open-invitation"..in order to attract someone new (i.e. fresh meat

In addition to the restriction which you've already implemented (and which is described very clearly) -- why not add (or extend) such a restriction such that it prevents me from 'accepting' your very next "open-invitation"?

The thinking here is that because you've just finished playing me in a set...then perhaps you might prefer to play someone else at this juncture. But if there's no constraint which prevents me from 'accepting' your very next open-invitation, then I could conceivably continue to annoy you with my (potentially) unwelcome intrusions on your 'open' invitations (thereby thwarting your desire to attract a new and different opponent).

I would also point out that this would not prohibit any given 2 players from engaging in a multiple-set challenge should they want to do so; because it is a constraint place upon 'open-invites' only and not upon closed-invitations (where a specific player is intentionally specified).

I hope I've made myself more clear this time.

Cheers!

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jan 14, 2014, 10:06 AM

Hey cfisch, Thanks for the clarification. I understand now, but I'd like to keep the open invitations as open as possible, that's why I hated to implement that feature but things were getting out of control.

After giving it some thought, and considering the work/benefit ratio, I don't think it is worth it at this time, but I will keep it in mind. I can see how your example may be annoying, but if you really don't want to play someone so soon again, you could either agree not to or keep the set in your active games for long times, which would also prevent that same player to snatch up all your other invitations, giving you time to find fresh meat via the open invitations

One thing I am looking at is that when players are blocked to send you a direct invitation, then they can also not see or accept your public invitation. Which is not the case at the moment.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Feb 15, 2014, 3:35 PM

For the record: If you ignored invites from a certain player, then that certain player can also not see any open invitations that you posted.

I had to re-implement this since it got lost in the hack.

Replies: 10   Views: 30,456   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]