Home » Forum Home » Help

Topic: Draws
Replies: 5   Views: 28,920   Pages: 1   Last Post: May 7, 2008, 4:01 PM by: dweebo

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Views: 28,920   Pages: 1  
jaqueline

Draws
Posted: Apr 29, 2008, 3:22 PM

I have had 2 experiences recently that have piqued my curiosity. I am in the midst (more like the tail end) of a C6 turn-based game with lepews. We are on move 130. It appears that it's quite possible that the game will be a draw. Zoey and I were fooling around the other day and concluded that if all the spaces were filled, that white would be the last one to place a stone. Would this have any affect on who wins the game? If anyone has info regarding this topic please reply. I am very curious.

Thank you,
Jaqueline

dweebo

Home page
Re: Draws
Posted: Apr 29, 2008, 3:32 PM

It "should" be counted as a draw, in fact I think draws are not that uncommon among the top c6 players. If you look around at the main c6 site www.connect6.org I think you'll see references to draws.

I am not actually sure what pente.org will do if you fill the whole board. Furthermore, if this is turn-based then you are probably playing in a set. So if one game is a draw and the other is a win for player 1 then I guess that means player 1 wins the set right? I'm pretty sure that will not happen in the current code and I should change that.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
lepews

Posted: Apr 30, 2008, 5:16 AM

hey Dweeb,

missed ya in FL - did u guys have a good time?

Re C6 draws, I indeed think that once there is no way either player can make a 6, the game should end in a draw.

I agree that in a set, if one player wins one game and draws the other, it should count as a win, but score wise it should not be the same as a 2-game win - maybe half the points both ways would be more fair.

And in the case of a double-draw in a set, it should obviously end as the usual draw, same as one win one loss.

dweebo

Home page
Posted: May 1, 2008, 4:22 PM

Hey lepews, yeah sorry I couldn't make it over in FL, was too busy lying on the beach you know

I am working on the code changes for handling draws now.

I can see how winning a set by winning one game and having a draw in the 2nd is not quite the same as winning both games, but I am going to count them the same in terms of the ratings calculations. I think you could make the argument that a win and a draw IS just as good as 2 wins.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
lepews

Posted: May 2, 2008, 6:48 PM

yo,

yes shame we didn't get to meet but the tan comes first

I dunno about 1 win + 1 draw being equal to 2 wins. From the loser's POV, I don't think that's true, since drawing isn't the same as losing, as he managed to stop his opponent from reaching his goal - connecting 6 stones in this instance.
So I believe a score adjustment is fair, with a 2 win set being worth more rating points than a 1 win 1 draw set, for both players.
The way I see it a 1 win 1 draw would bring half the points to both opponents that a 2 win set would.

Thanks for looking at this though - as usual you rock!

Now can we have a SpeedBoat-Keryo tourny? 8-)

cheers Lepews

dweebo

Home page
Posted: May 7, 2008, 4:01 PM

Draw code has been implemented for turn-based and live games.

I've tested the turn-based stuff pretty well but haven't tried a draw yet in live play.

So if someone could please test that out in an unrated game I would appreciate it! I just didn't feel like filling the entire board all by myself I guess

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
Replies: 5   Views: 28,920   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]