Home » Forum Home » Help

Topic: Java issues in Chrome
Replies: 13   Views: 36,584   Pages: 1   Last Post: Oct 9, 2015, 8:42 AM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 13   Views: 36,584   Pages: 1  
be_water

Java issues in Chrome
Posted: Apr 19, 2015, 10:01 AM

I know that at least one other person here has been having trouble with Java on the Chrome browser lately. Apparently it has something to do with google disabling a plugin needed to run Java.

Here is how to fix it

1. In your URL bar, enter: chrome://flags/#enable-npapi
2. Click the Enable link for the Enable NPAPI configuration option.
3. Click the Relaunch button that now appears at the bottom of the configuration page.

Here is where I found this information: https://java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml

I just did it myself and it seems to have fixed the problem. Hopefully this is useful for some others too.

Message was edited by: be_water at Apr 19, 2015 10:04 AM

be_water

Re: Java issues in Chrome
Posted: Apr 19, 2015, 10:13 AM

I found this little bit of literature on the issue too. It looks like NPAPI will be unsupported all together by Chrome later this year.

https://threatpost.com/google-shuts-off-npapi-in-chrome/112295

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 21, 2015, 5:23 PM

Are these issues only related to the Game Room? And not to turn-based games?

lupulo

Home page
Posted: Apr 21, 2015, 6:35 PM

No, they are related to both game room and turn-based games... (>>Plug-In not supported<<)

Sapere aude.
1crazy1

Posted: Apr 22, 2015, 9:37 PM

Thanks for the info be! Catchya in the game room again one of these days. . . .?

brf

Home page
Posted: Apr 23, 2015, 5:47 AM

yeah chrome just blew up on me and would not work with the java plugin (as of 4/22/15)

Just as be_water stated, just entering this blurb into the address line of chrome was all that was needed.

chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

and make sure on the screen that pops up that npapi is enabled. can confirm...I restarted and all is working fine now.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 25, 2015, 11:37 AM

At first glance this seems to be something that needs to be resolved by Oracle and Google. I suspect that in the near future Java will stop working completely in Chrome.

This means that I recommend to switch to Firefox or Safari in the near future. A long term goal is to switch to html5 or javascript for turn-based at least.

katysmom

Posted: May 22, 2015, 6:16 PM

September 2015 will be the final death knell. Google will not budge on the issue, and Oracle is enjoying the kickbacks from forcing the Ask.com toolbar into the Java bundle, so they won't change either. With Chrome such a amounting to more than half of internet browser usage, it will be interesting to see how this develops and how fast sites switch to html5 and javascript. I do get Google's point though, NPAPI is truly antiquated, especially with the exponential growth of mobile computing. Microsoft is getting ready to dump IE, and I expect Firefox and Safari will follow Chrome's example because of the inherent problems with such plug ins.

brf

Home page
Posted: May 22, 2015, 7:34 PM

Been messing with the latest version of Opera and found it to be faster than Chrome or Firefox anyway. Gameroom and everything seems to work just fine with it, I've not had any issue with Java using opera. The browser itself looks essentially like chrome with more intuitive control settings anyway. Opera also has the must have adblock plug-in so I give it the thumbs up, you might want to check that browser out....I've been using it for a few weeks and am liking it's simplicity and ease of use. Haven't found any pages I can't load or access with it. http://www.opera.com

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: May 23, 2015, 8:49 AM

Well shoot. I hope they don't dump it in the near future and I haven't been able to find news on it that they (Firefox/Safari) would.

Porting the turn-based applets to JS or HTML5 should be doable, since I made the iOS app with only POSTs and GETs, but the live game room is something else entirely.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: May 26, 2015, 12:33 PM

I completely overlooked this, but the Live Game Room will play directly from your desktop, without the need for a browser. This is great news for me.

The turn-based applets can't do that. At this time at least, but I have no plans to change that. Rather, I'll convert them to html5 or javascript (like the DB but prettier).

katysmom

Posted: May 26, 2015, 5:20 PM

The temporary fixes are lucky and it's good that the game room can be opened on a desktop. All of the major browsers, including Safari, Firefox, and Opera, have announced moving away from NPAPI and in forthcoming releases I expect support to be discontinued entirely. Luckily, we have some time though.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jul 23, 2015, 11:20 AM

I mitigated the Turn-Based Java issues with an HTML5 implementation of the games. Though you should consider that beta for the time being. It's working quite nicely and a whole lot snappier than the Java applet.

As for the Live Game Room, that's a different beast entirely. I hope to save it before Java goes completely dark on all browsers, but I can't make any promises.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Oct 9, 2015, 8:42 AM

uh-oh, more trouble on the horizon. Brace yourselves.

Replies: 13   Views: 36,584   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]