Home » Forum Home » Help

Topic: Unable to launch App
Replies: 5   Views: 30,988   Pages: 1   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013, 9:42 AM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Views: 30,988   Pages: 1  
mikec64

Unable to launch App
Posted: Dec 5, 2013, 1:14 AM

I just started getting an Application Blocked by Security Settings, followed by The Application cannot be run.

Name: org.pente.turnBased.swing.TBApplet

Reason: JAR manifest codebase mismatch for http://pente.org/gameServer/lib/tb__V4.3.0.8.jar

Followed by General Exception

Reason: JAR manifest codebase mismatch for http://pente.org/gameServer/lib/tb__V4.3.0.8.jar

At any end... it fails to load and I can't seem to find a fix for it... HELP

fiveinarow

Re: Unable to launch App
Posted: Dec 5, 2013, 2:16 AM

I have spent the last two hours trying to fix the exact same issue, but to no avail. Still can't play any Pente!! This is beginning to become troublesome, because without my games, I fear what could happen to those around me due to extreme frustration over not being able to place stones. Please help A.S.A.P.!!

mikec64

Posted: Dec 5, 2013, 2:21 AM

Yes... I agree with you whole heartedly.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Dec 6, 2013, 9:34 AM

These things always happen when I'm sleeping. I just tried it on my mac Safari/Firefox, and in Firefox on Win7, on both machines it works for me with the highest hava security settings. And, I also have not changed a thing after it started working for everybody again (post-scavenger-hunt thing).

So the thing is that it works sometimes for you and sometimes not, while nothing changes on my end. I do hope that it works most of the time rather than not. It seems that java on our local machines is a bit flaky.

The alternative is that I remove the signature and we keep getting warnings again, but Oracle made it clear that in future updates, you won't even get the warnings anymore, it just won't be allowed to execute.

I suggest the following:
- Try to cycle some browser restarts to see if that changes anything. That solves a lot of java problems for me.
- Try, like me, to set the Java security settings (control panel or system settings on mac) to the highest, or play around with it a bit (if the browser restarts do not help).
- As a final resort, try if a reboot helps.

Please report your successes and failures here so people can make use of your tips and tricks, and so I can monitor the situation and hopefully maybe fix this permanently.

Digital signatures should not fail "sometimes", when they do, then there is something seriously wrong with the security model, as I suspect that is the case here. If the error persists or keeps returning, I'll try a wildcard codebase, but that's exactly opening up the security hole that Java is complaining about in the first place.

Message was edited by: rainwolf at Dec 6, 2013 11:29 AM

I prepared applets with a wildcard codebase, but there's no point in launching them if all is working fine. So when we're having these issues again, and if I'm awake, I can get these new versions going in the blink of an eye.

Message was edited by: rainwolf at Dec 6, 2013 11:41 AM

Oops, looking at the date these posts were made, I believe I'm chasing my own tail here and everything should be working. If not, let me know, preferably here or in the other thread.

fiveinarow

Posted: Dec 10, 2013, 9:20 AM

Well, it seems to be working fine the past few days, with the only hiccup being that the Java console window appears (never did previously) and doesn't close. But, on the other hand, there isn't the security warning when first opening the applet as before...Six to one, half dozen to the other as far as functionality goes. But it is working now, at least!

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Dec 10, 2013, 9:42 AM

Hey fiveinarow,

Java has a control panel inside the windows control panel (control panel - ception), or on a mac, inside the system preferences. There is an option there to always hide the console in the "advanced" section, does that help you?

(you may need a browser restart before the settings take effect)

Replies: 5   Views: 30,988   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]