Home » Forum Home » Help

Topic: Regarding the information posted on the "Start Playing" page
Replies: 5   Views: 20,556   Pages: 1   Last Post: Dec 4, 2003, 5:41 AM by: partica

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Views: 20,556   Pages: 1  
partica

Regarding the information posted on the "Start Playing" page
Posted: Dec 2, 2003, 7:25 AM

Hello,

I was not able to get on the main room this evening until I did exactly as posted on the "Start Playing" page.

chain of events:
I tried the site. Didn't work. Closed the browser, cleared the pente.org cookie, tried again.
Didn't work. Closed the browser, cleared the pente.org cookie, and the java plugin cache.
I then tried again and logged in without a problem.

environment info:
I run IE version 6.0.2800.1106 on a windows 2000 box.
Jave 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.4.1_02
Default JVM version 1.4.1_02-b06
Java Plug-in 1.4.1_02

Just in case you wanted to know.

~Partica

I never woulda thought to clear my java plugin cache, thanks for the tip! I just thought the site was down!

dweebo

Home page
Re: Regarding the information posted on the "Start Playing" page
Posted: Dec 2, 2003, 3:14 PM

Thanks Partica, that is just what I was looking for. I didn't know the java plugin had it's own cache either until 2 days ago

So far I've received only a handful of replies about this issue, but it seems that only about half of those are successful after clearing the plugin cache. So I'm trying to get more information from those specific players who still can't get on.

If you ever have problems getting on, please let me know! Sometimes I already know the site is down, but other times it is actually up and you might have a problem specific to your machine that I don't know about. So let me know and if you could provide the output of the java console that would REALLY help. The java console is just a window to provide debugging information for java applets. You should be able to open the java console from any browser or if you're using Java Web Start to play. The procedure to find it might be different on different browsers so here is how to find it if you're using IE or any browser with the java plugin:

IE with Default Microsoft java VM
1. Click the View menu and then select Java Console near the bottom of the menu.
2. If there is no Java Console available click the Tools menu and select Internet Options.
3. Then select the Advanced tab and find the section for Java.
3a. If you see a checkbox that says something like Use Java 2 v1.4.2 for applet then you're using the java plugin, even if you don't choose to from the "Start Playing" page. Proceed to the next section.
3b. If you see a checkbox that says Show Java Console check that and restart your browser. Repeat step 1.

Any browser with Java plugin
1. Open the java plugin control panel. To access the control panel will be different on different operating systems. For windows you can find it under the Windows control panel (Start Menu | Control Panel). If you know how to access it on other OS's, post that information here please.
2. Once you have the java plugin control panel open, on the Basic tab there should be a section for the Java Console, choose to Show Console and Apply.
3. Whenever you view a web page with a java applet now, the java console should appear. The same applies for players using Java Web Start.

Ok, now that you have a java console open, try to get into the DSG game room and when that fails, there will hopefully be some debugging text in the java console. Copy that into an email to dweebo@pente.org and send it to me! This would also be helpful to me if you can get into the game room, but it freezes on your or you get disconnected often. When those things happen there will again hopefully be some debugging information you can send me. The game room applet also prints out all events from the server (players joining, game moves, etc.), which you might find interesting.

Thanks everyone, I'm working really hard to fix this so please flood me with emails!

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
dweebo

Home page
Posted: Dec 2, 2003, 3:45 PM

I got an email that provided some more information. smokin wrote that by rebooting he could connect, but that eventually the problem would crop up again.

So there is another temporary fix for you diehard players.
-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
elena

Posted: Dec 2, 2003, 10:15 PM

I could get in from one machine, but not from another... After trying all above I just want to confirm that cleaning, closing, clearing, rebooting, restarting etc. does work when done all together! BUT by the time I was done with all those exciting rituals it was about time to do something else… Is there any shorter way? And if there is could you explain it in a non-programmers-language as well Thanks

partica

Posted: Dec 3, 2003, 4:23 AM

This is too funny. I am not able to get in to the site this evening, regardless what I try! lol and here is the dump you requested!

Microsoft (R) VM for Java, 5.0 Release 5.0.0.3810
==============================================
? help
c clear
f run finalizers
g garbage collect
m memory usage
q quit
t thread list
==============================================
unknown error
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
at java/net/PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect
at java/net/PlainSocketImpl.doConnect
at java/net/PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress
at java/net/PlainSocketImpl.connect
at java/net/Socket.
at java/net/Socket.
at org/pente/gameServer/client/awt/PenteApplet.init
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.securedCall0
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.securedCall
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.run
at java/lang/Thread.run
unknown error
at java/net/Socket.
at java/net/Socket.
at java/lang/Thread.run
unknown error
at java/net/Socket.
at java/net/Socket.
at java/lang/Thread.run

partica

Posted: Dec 4, 2003, 5:41 AM

Just to let you know, I logged in today without any issues!

Replies: 5   Views: 20,556   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]