Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: Solve the Hammer Opening for P1, & become a Pente Legend.
Replies: 53   Views: 189,566   Pages: 4   Last Post: May 31, 2020, 7:54 AM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 53   Views: 189,566   Pages: 4   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
up2ng

Re: Solve the Hammer Opening for P1, & become a Pente Legend.
Posted: Dec 31, 2010, 10:33 PM

I believe that 5. H11 is beaten by the primary threat of 5 ... L10. For example:

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Dec 31, 2010, 10:55 PM

well if P1 blocks the 3 high its not so easy for P2.
here are some games i played with the move. only one was similar to yours.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
happyj0

Posted: Jan 1, 2011, 3:45 AM

oops

Message was edited by: happyj0 at Dec 31, 2010 10:00 PM

happyj0

Posted: Jan 1, 2011, 4:00 AM

happyj0

Posted: Jan 1, 2011, 4:01 AM

happyj0

Posted: Jan 1, 2011, 4:12 AM

happyj0

Re: ..
Posted: Jan 1, 2011, 4:25 AM

5)F9 was a conceptual blunder by DanPorter. With any luck he reads this thread and learns something from it.

P.S. This is my first time posting positions on this forum, and somewhere I screwed up the HTML, making it impossible for me to reply in this thread without changing the subject header. Hopefully no one else winds up plagued by this due to my drunken mistake.

P.P.S. Newpy Hap Year everyone!!!

Message was edited by: happyj0 at Dec 31, 2010 10:25 PM

jhs55

Re: ..
Posted: Jan 1, 2011, 7:25 PM

LOL

up2ng

Posted: Jan 1, 2011, 8:14 PM

Yep, happy beat me to the punch with 7 ... H11. In his second variation, better is 9 ... H10 for the 3x3 avoiding any further problems.

Lastly, instead of blocking on either side, white could have tried extending and going for the keystone attack -- but the one "extra" stone that white is originally stuck with causes a huge problem for trying that, which is one of the reasons why the direct threat on move 5 is so strong for black.

The "Hammer Opening" as shown through move 4 definitely loses, and it's specifically because of the location of that extra stone.

Message was edited by: up2ng at Jan 1, 2011 2:15 PM

pente_man

Posted: Jan 2, 2011, 5:51 AM

Placing a stone to J11 for the 6th move is strong for player 2. There is also this variation where player 2 utilizes the adzi principle first before playing to J11.
The endgame might not be as easy, but player 2 still has the win. Opportunities for player 2 to utilize adzi are rare so here it is:

happyj0

Posted: Jan 2, 2011, 7:07 AM

up2ng said "better is 9 ... H10 for the 3x3 avoiding any further problems."

I take issue with the word "better", but your point is taken; the position transposes, something I did not originally see.

My variation "avoids further problems" too; I simply spotted it before I saw your move last night after I made my post....

Anyway, for whatever reason I was acutely aware of the damage that the G10 stone did to my ability to continue the way I did, so when the opportunity for a clear win arose, I took it.

Penteman,

There is more than one way to wield a hammer to effect, and if you see a way to win the way you played it, then good for you. That said, your move looks superfluous to me, and you didn't flesh any continuation out. I personally would simply continue from your position the way I did in my first position, albeit with the additional distraction of a couple of new irrelevant stones.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jan 2, 2011, 10:12 AM

@happyj0;
thanks for showing your solution. apreciated. its like pulling teeth to get strong players involved with discussions it seems. so im always happy when people show up so i dont feel as tho im talking to my self with a bunch of silent observers. makes it feel less creepy.

about your comments to pente man how ever;
superfluous? ide say it was skinning the cat with style.
and continuation? im not sure its needed in obvious endings.

@in general;
i posted the second move idea here, not because i didnt see a solution, but because i wanted others to think and have a reason to participate. im glad it worked.

in the end, i feel the hammer is a P2 win. but, it is important for us to know why it is. to just hear the 30 year old legend of the hammer being a P2 win but not really looking into how its played i think is a error on our part. any good master should know the hammer first and formost. this also goes for new players learning the game. the hammer is the basic 101 class to get your feet wet. and its funny ive seen strong players lose the hammer as P2. just funny. they just heard hammer is P2 win and never thought to study it... don't just hear you know it,,, know you know it.

z

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Jan 2, 2011 4:15 AM

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jan 2, 2011, 10:42 AM

on second thought. perhaps you mean if white extends to K7 before blocking the 3 at J12. same level of messyness i suppose...

P2 still has the win at H8 in that situation,.. just have to give caps is all. no biggy.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jan 2, 2011, 11:08 AM

and,..

happyj0 said;
5)F9 was a conceptual blunder by DanPorter. With any luck he reads this thread and learns something from it.

z:
now,.. im not sure how to take that. so ill leave it to others to say how they think it sounds. but im just saying.

pente_man

Posted: Jan 2, 2011, 2:55 PM

Check this one out and try to beat it.

Replies: 53   Views: 189,566   Pages: 4   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]