Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: can Mushin apply to Pente? 無心
Replies: 11   Views: 42,485   Pages: 1   Last Post: Dec 23, 2010, 8:50 PM by: zoeyk

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 11   Views: 42,485   Pages: 1  
zoeyk

Home page
can Mushin apply to Pente? 無心
Posted: Dec 9, 2010, 4:40 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushin

i think that yes,.. high level players can achieve this.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare

karlw

Re: can Mushin apply to Pente? 無心
Posted: Dec 10, 2010, 5:30 PM

I actually experience this a lot when playing an instrument or fast-paced video games. My performance suffers if I think about what I'm doing. Turning off conscious awareness of my performance and allowing myself to run on something akin to autopilot improves my play greatly. I can't say I've ever felt this playing pente, since it requires so much higher-level cognitive functioning.

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Dec 12, 2010, 2:44 AM

Yes, this is one of the part of process of concentration in Renju, and surely in Pente.

jhs55

Posted: Dec 12, 2010, 5:09 AM

sounds like someone is a pot head ....

valleyboy

Posted: Dec 13, 2010, 9:33 PM

jeez, what a dork...you know a pothead would be too busy stuffing Twinkies to play at all.

not_sure

Posted: Dec 14, 2010, 1:07 AM

Not true. You can totally stuff your face with twinkies and play Pente at the same time. Or so I've heard.

not_sure

Posted: Dec 14, 2010, 1:07 AM

Though I prefer Whoppers. The candy kind.

gaylen

Home page
Posted: Dec 15, 2010, 9:43 PM

If you really need to turn on the after burners and kick up the concentration, try pop rocks and brandy.

Now you know my secret so go out and "Kick Some ***"!!

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Dec 15, 2010, 11:11 PM

karl and nosovs made quality comments. the rest of you are spamming my thread with nonsense.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
jackschidt

Posted: Dec 23, 2010, 11:13 AM

"Mushin is achieved when a person's mind is free from thoughts of anger, fear, or ego during combat or everyday life." - Wikipedia

Clearly, anger would be a distraction. But just the idea of playing a certain person can easily distract another player through fear or ego. Some of my best games are when I've played as a guest. Win or lose, it doesn't even count as part of my record, much less factor into my rating. Playing just for the joy of the game.

Conversely, some people develop a mindset, deciding the outcome of a game before it ever starts. Yet I can get a much tougher game out of them by playing as a guest, at least at the start. Its a phenomena I've seen in other games as well.

Interesting the application of Mushin to sword-fighting, where foundational footwork sets up an attack. And how a mis-timed attack can leave the attacker vulnerable. Both strongly apply to Pente.

When looking for a response, intuition is a great place to start the process of elimination, and can save a lot of time. Not just to know, but to understand.

I'd count intuition as one of the five facets to a great Pente player. Though I don't know what the other four are, surely there are five. One of which just might be Pop-Rocks & Brandy.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Dec 23, 2010, 8:39 PM

thanks jack.
i think that aside from the point on emotions, being able to disconnect from a familiar technique is also a part of Mushin. to be able to feel it out with a open and empty non-biased mind. i have a feeling that years of experience in utilizing the art of adzi will increase the ability to do this with better effect.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Dec 23, 2010, 8:50 PM

i also think this can apply to cooking in a high paced restaurant. it is multi tasking and random chaos that is to be harnessed and controlled and brought into order.
leaping from step to step with in milliseconds where unforeseen variables can pop up like an extra ball being thrown into what your juggling. and if you over think it something burns or falls or a cut occurs. but flowing with the motion and trusting in the process as it unfolds before you can prove a much smoother method of control.

z

Replies: 11   Views: 42,485   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]