Replies: 0   Views: 37,505   Pages: 1  

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
zoeyk

Home page
Pente Terms, Old and New
Posted: Mar 31, 2010, 3:19 AM

Here will be a place to put Pente terms defined, both old known ones and new ones.
players may feel free to debate as to whether or not the terms belong.

I'll start this off by putting a list richardiii made, then i will add to it some ideas i come up with. others may feel free to suggest their own to add as well.

Pente Terms; by Richardiii

I have much more to say about openings, but in an address to:

a) Create a pente jargon which will make it easier to describe complex positions and patterns

Here?s some pente jargon that I use, some are old and some are mine.

Cap : to capture, ie to take a pair

Atari : (a Japanese Go term)to lay a stone that threatens to cap.

Extend : to lay a stone on the end of one?s own existing line of connected stones.

Sente : a Japanese Go term meaning ?initiative? or the ability to lay a stone that demands a continuing defensive posture from one's opponent.

Tres : 3 stones in a line.

Split 3 : a tres formed with a pair, a space, and then one more stone.

Posted or Divided 3 : a stone, a space, a stone, a space, and one more stone all of the same color.

Open 4 : 4 stones in a row with no defending stones at either end

Extended 4 : a 4 formed by 3 stones, a space, and one more stone.

Split 4 : a 4 formed by a pair, a space, and a second pair.

Trap : to lay a stone that forces one?s opponent to play into atari against himself.

Soft block : to block one space beyond the end of a tres or pair in such a way that denies one?s opponent an extension into sente on one end.

Draw : to make a pair that temps ones? opponent to play an atari move. An opening tactic favored by many players such as up2ng.

Winding the Clock : laying consecutive split 3?s in such a manner that as one?s opponent keeps playing into the split, and the split 3?s keep forming. The overall pattern evolves in a circular pattern of split 3?s. this pattern must be set up right for proper execution or it fails, but when it is set up right, it is a beauty to behold.

more terms forthcoming.

R3

Attraction;
Where by a player (typically white) sacrifices minor or major stones to expose the opponent. black may attempt to "attract" white by using either looming potentials, or strong looking defensive and obscure position that appears to threaten if not embraced.

Cheapo;
Slang for a primitive trap, often set in the hope of swindling a win from a lost position.

Combination;
A clever sequence of moves, often involving a sacrifice or several, to maintain the advantage or to initiate the acceptance and exploitation of a unintuitive minor flaw that the "once was winning" opponent has made. The moves of the other player are usually forced, i.e. a combination does not give the opponent too many possible lines of continuation. The move trees Width is controllably narrowed to a branch of beyond reasonable predictability. (note that Exploitation does not imply Combination is used)

Countergambit;
to answer a beatable trap ("that does not bluff if ignored"), by engaging with it.

Ignoregambit;
to ignore a gambit that was a bluff move.
a "draw move" can be a good example of a "bluff move" in some situations.

Reasonable Exchange;
The capture of a pair of pieces from both sides in the form of a trade, one pair white and the other pair black, two pairs that are considered almost equal in value given the boards state both before and after when comparing the decision of whether to mutually defend from capture, or to initiate a trade offering). Note that in taking the capture, they can surprise you by not taking in return, they may sacrifice the the take in order to gain tempo in another position.

Move order;
The sequence of moves one chooses to play an opening or execute a plan. Different move orders often have different advantages and disadvantages.

Novelty;
A new move not found in the data base. Sometimes called a "theoretical novelty" or "TN."
often time a good new novelty move can created on the 6th or 7th move of Player 2 that is not found in the data base, but not limited to the 6th or 7th move.

Overloaded;
A stone that has too many defensive duties. An overloaded stone can sometimes be deflected/diverted by being involved in a captured pair that contained a keystone, or it can also be required to abandon one of its defensive duties. this stone often needs to be given some attention to creatively remove its load of tension and risk unless. tempo can be one method. direct defense, or also obscure defense can be some other options to answer with.

more terms forth coming. Zoeyk

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]