Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: Post games not in database
Replies: 10   Views: 31,877   Pages: 1   Last Post: Oct 27, 2008, 11:28 PM by: up2ng

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 10   Views: 31,877   Pages: 1  
dweebo

Home page
Post games not in database
Posted: Oct 24, 2008, 4:26 PM

I've made an improvement so you can now post a game to analyze with a move list and ability to traverse the moves, even if the game is not in the database.

To see how, view the new instructions for the various ways to post board images or games.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!

up2ng

Re: Post games not in database
Posted: Oct 24, 2008, 6:10 PM

Hey, this is great! Thanks for posting instructions in an easy to find place also.

There was one version of code that I had not seen before which allows you to specify positions for black stones, white stones and number of captured stones seperately. A great side effect of this is that it is possible to post "pente puzzles" using this code, since tournament rules are not enforced and equal number of stones are not enforced either! Of course, this feature probably should not be abused for this purpose in a forum and any half-way decent puzzles should probably end up in the Puzzle section instead of buried in a forum -- but it's still a neat feature.

Thinking Outside the Box
White to play and win in 4 (multiple solutions):

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Oct 24, 2008, 6:47 PM

Yes you are correct up2ng, it is a great way to show puzzles in the forums and I encourage users to do so if they are interested in puzzles.

Eventually I would like to create an application to create all of these boards with a nice user interface instead of having to specify the moves with coordinates, and to support placing puzzles in the puzzle area instead of here.

But that is a ways off, and at least we can do it here in the forums for now.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 25, 2008, 12:47 AM

very very very cool dweebo!!!

and i noticed you used niobiums and bibigons game that i had posted in the hall of fame games thread. a nice and honoring touch. i only wish that i had a chance to use that on nosovs as his previous white offence would had walked right into that trap i think, ahh well lol

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
watsu

Home page
Posted: Oct 25, 2008, 2:58 AM

This is very cool; so cool, in fact, that I'm going try it out to see if I can figure out how to post an outside the db game applet right here... yes!

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
watsu

Home page
Posted: Oct 25, 2008, 7:17 AM

Dweebo, do the applets only initialize for this feature in the analysis section or did my second attempt fail for a different reason? I tried to add to this thread and got an applet not initialized message, unlike here, where it worked for me...

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
sjustice

Home page
Posted: Oct 26, 2008, 5:00 AM

I Tried 7 times to figure out the outside the box and all i can say is that it is a Nice 1.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Oct 26, 2008, 6:13 AM

Coming from Scott, that's a great compliment, Up.

up2ng

Posted: Oct 27, 2008, 4:43 PM

Thanks guys!

To be fair, it's possible that I may have technically violated Pente Puzzle rules...

It was not reviewed or tested, I was just trying to get something up on the forums that demonstrated the new forum feature.

I'll post my solution (and there may be others) a bit later.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 27, 2008, 9:26 PM

ok i got it,..and the tittle is fitting. the solution typed upside down in unicode text. good luck reading it

˙ǝʇuǝd ɐ sǝʞɐɯ ʍou pǝʞɔoןq ʇou sɐʍ ʇɐɥʇ 4 ǝɥʇ pǝɔɐןd ǝuoʇs ɥʇ4 sǝʇıɥʍ ɥʇıʍ puɐ 's4 ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sʞɔoןq ʞɔɐןq ˙ǝʌoɯ pɹıɥʇ sʇı ɥʇıʍ 4 ǝןqnop ɐ sǝʞɐɯ ʍou ǝʇıɥʍ oʇ puodsǝɹ ʇupıp ʞɔɐןq ǝuo ɹǝʌǝ ɥɔıɥʍ ˙sǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp uo ɯǝɥʇ ɟo oʍʇ ǝɯıʇ sıɥʇ ʇnq uıɐƃɐ ʇɐǝɹɥʇ ǝɯɐs ǝɥʇ sǝʇɐǝɹɔ ʇsɹıɟ ǝɥʇ ɹǝʇɟɐ ǝuop ǝsoɥʇ ɟo puoɔǝs ɹǝɥʇıǝ ˙puǝɟǝp ʇsnɯ ʞɔɐןq snɥʇ 4 ǝןqnop ɐ ɟo ʇɐǝɹɥʇ ǝɥʇ ǝʇɐǝɹɔ ןןıʍ ʇı ʇsɹıɟ sǝɯoɔ ǝuo ɹǝʌǝ ɥɔıɥʍ ˙ɹǝpɹo ɹǝɥʇıǝ uı 1u ɹo 7ʇ

and P5 isnt needed,.. but then i suppose that makes it too obvious if its removed.

and so above i showed 2 solutions,.. but there is another one too. Q4 is a hint.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
up2ng

Posted: Oct 27, 2008, 11:28 PM

You got it zoeyk. And yeah, P5 wasn't needed. It was sort of left over from a previous iteration and I left it in cuz it looked better and gave me a fun title, haha. Technically, in a true Pente puzzle, every stone should actually play a role in the solution, and yet be deceiving at the same time.

Replies: 10   Views: 31,877   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]