Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: 2021 mind sports olympics dates announced
Replies: 4   Views: 21,257   Pages: 1   Last Post: Apr 12, 2021, 10:41 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 4   Views: 21,257   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
2021 mind sports olympics dates announced
Posted: Apr 4, 2021, 5:00 AM

https://msoworld.com/2021/03/2021-mind-sports-olympiad-dates-announced/
The schedule is planned to be announced in May.
If we want Pente to be played in this upcoming (free, online) 25th anniversary event, we may need to do some lobbying for its inclusion.

I think swap2 Pente is the best candidate Pente game for inclusion because unlike Pente (which we play in sets) it can be played as a reasonably fair single game for winner take all in a single game between two opponents. This means it's possible to have a seven round tournament completed within a couple of hours or so. 28 minutes was the total running time for a seven round swap2 Pente tournament I played in a month ago (2 min. + 3 sec. time control), but I expect the time control would likely be closer to 6 min. + 10 sec. as it was for last year's MSO swap2 gomoku tournament.
Probably, Winning Moves could get a bit of extra promotion for their Deluxe Pente game if they helped sponsor an MSO swap2 Pente tournament. Maybe others besides just me should send them a note suggesting that idea?

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

watsu

Home page
Re: 2021 mind sports olympics dates announced
Posted: Apr 4, 2021, 2:14 PM

As far as I've been able to determine by looking through archived schedules for events of years past, Pente hasn't been included before in the MSO. Without the swap2 rule, this makes a certain amount of sense, because historically live Pente tournaments have had issues with drawn sets or a rule set which was generally considered fair for both players. Sometimes, three games were played, with a coin flip determining the first player. This is a less than ideal scenario. Hopefully, Winning Moves and the people at MSO will agree that with the swap2 rules Pente opening rules have evolved to a point where a single game between two opponents at least as likely to reveal the better player on a given day as with chess or other games which have been included in the past.
For a bit of analysis on why swap2 is preferable to single swap games in live play, see:
https://pente.org/gameServer/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=27&threadID=232563&tstart=0
ETA: link to analysis on how swap2 is fairer than single swap.

Message was edited by: watsu at Apr 4, 2021, 2:23 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
watsu

Home page
Posted: Apr 6, 2021, 4:54 PM

I'd like to get a show of hands of who would play in a live MSO swap2 pente tournament in August. The online venue will likely be vint.ee
Add your name, if you're interested:
https://www.vint.ee/en-gb/forum/thread/15178/

gaylen

Home page
Posted: Apr 12, 2021, 8:11 PM

I still can't figure out how to post my interest at MSO (Vint.ee). Am I supposed to sign in first? which I have. I see a message box under Pente_player and other names. Do I sign my name in the message box? Pente_player said I left 2 messages with him instead, I guess. There is a link to erase all messages but I don't dare to click on that because I don't know if that means that I would erase my messages or someone else's messages.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Apr 12, 2021, 10:41 PM

MSO and vint.ee are two different entities, but how you add your name expressing interest is:
sign in, click on the link I (AKA) pente_player sent you; make sure you have language set to English (if you don't already) add your name under mine (pente_player) and the other names. Don't worry about the other forum posts you made.

Replies: 4   Views: 21,257   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]