Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: Why single live tournament games of swap Pente can favor the proposer
Replies: 2   Views: 22,620   Pages: 1   Last Post: Feb 8, 2021, 10:34 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 2   Views: 22,620   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
Why single live tournament games of swap Pente can favor the proposer
Posted: Feb 8, 2021, 4:31 AM

There are certain three and four stone positions which, if one is unfamiliar with them are difficult to determine which side has the advantage in a timed over the board game. This is also the case for gomoku, which is why the swap 2 rule was developed as a refinement of swap gomoku.
Without going into too much detailed analysis, I'll just point out a couple of lines which require significantly more analysis (when unfamiliar) than can be done over the board in a live game. Perhaps others can chime in with further examples.

In the game above, karlw avoids playing the wedge as P1, since the placement of the first stone on the C line interferes with P1's ability to punish a 6. ... G13 divergence from the wedge line with 7. B14. Nonetheless, P1's winning line is challenging to assess in over the board (if P1 does indeed have a winning edge). Unfamilar with this line in an over the board game I would definitely favor adding two stones to the initial three and let my opponent pick which side to play.

The initial three stone position in the above game is also a challenging one to decide which side has the advantage on.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

t0afer

Re: Why single live tournament games of swap Pente can favor the proposer
Posted: Feb 8, 2021, 9:45 PM

This is my inexperience showing, but why did white resign in the first game?

If they had stopped the capture at the edge, then black could create two open trias, except one of the open trias butts up against the edge of the board which effectively makes it closed?

Message was edited by: t0afer at Feb 9, 2021, 7:48 PM

watsu

Home page
Re: Why single live tournament games of swap Pente can favor the proposer
Posted: Feb 8, 2021, 10:34 PM

Black can play C10, D9, D11 etc. if white protects the pair. Or D8 instead of D11 and double keystone capture at E11.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 2   Views: 22,620   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]