Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: Game: karlw vs. watsu 04/13/2019
Replies: 2   Views: 32,901   Pages: 1   Last Post: Apr 14, 2019, 11:26 AM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 2   Views: 32,901   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
Game: karlw vs. watsu 04/13/2019
Posted: Apr 13, 2019, 5:09 AM

To me, the line in this game illustrates a number of points I've been attempting to make in the forum:
1. The advantage the DB offers to subscriber in TB play (P1's 10th is a sure win, but counter intuitive and less frequently played than another line, which offers good chances for P2) - see below for an example by lupulo as P2.

2. The reason Boat Pente is a good variant to help decrease the first player advantage: Karlw's winning move of 16. L7 would lose in Boat Pente, so P1 would need to find a different line in order to prevail.

3. The reason I rarely play TB Pente against high level subscribers on this site anymore - personally, it's too difficult for me to come up with a P2 novelty which I think will prevail in TB play against the likes of say, Dmitri King, who I initially contemplated trying out the line shown in the lupulo example against after seeing that he played into it in a live game, only to then realize that he wouldn't in a TB game. Hoping Dmitri wouldn't play 10. J11 in a TB game would be roughly equivalent to hoping Rollie Tesh would play the hammer instead of the wedge OTB based on what I see in the DB.

The game below by lupulo illustrates one example of what I would hope as P2 might occur:

The lines in the second game would be difficult and complex to prosecute a P2 win with during live play without playing it out with notes (which I think - and the site rules state - would defeat the purpose and spirit of live game play) and in TB play which allows notes and time for analysis of the current position subscribers here have access to a road map to a sure win for P1.

I chose to play this line against Karlw despite the 100% win record in the DB for 10. J11 in 19 games for the above reasons and also because I knew Karl had played both lines before in TB play - see these two example games from the database:

and isometrically

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

karlw

Re: Game: karlw vs. watsu 04/13/2019
Posted: Apr 14, 2019, 8:27 AM

Ahhhh, I finally understand why you chose that opening. Hope next time you pick one based on strength, not based on proving a point.

Eh, who cares; I got the win But couldn't you just as easily cherry-pick games where Black wins through sheer genius moves, unless White were able to cap across pentes, so...

watsu

Home page
Re: Game: karlw vs. watsu 04/13/2019
Posted: Apr 14, 2019, 11:26 AM

Well, just I figured this way I'd get a sneak peek at your genius 5. ... J11 while it doesn't cost me any rating points (assuming I can bust it, and if I can't you deserve them) and I could avoid cherry-picking games from my nonpareil collection of those "where Black wins through sheer genius moves, unless White were able to cap across pentes" saving those up until your rating exceeds mine

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 2   Views: 32,901   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]