Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: 1927 ninuki renju game between Kubomatsu Katsukiyo and Murashima Yoshinori
Replies: 5   Views: 37,979   Pages: 1   Last Post: May 18, 2019, 7:20 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Views: 37,979   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
1927 ninuki renju game between Kubomatsu Katsukiyo and Murashima Yoshinori
Posted: Sep 14, 2017, 10:53 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

watsu

Home page
Re: 1927 ninuki renju game between Kubomatsu Katsukiyo and Murashima Yoshinori
Posted: Sep 14, 2017, 10:54 PM

I've posted it on a boat pente board, since that is the closest pente variant we currently have here to ninuki renju. https://senseis.xmp.net/?KubomatsuKatsukiyo playing second was a professional 7 dan Go player, an 8 dan renju player, the inventor of ninuki renju and considered at the time of this game to be the strongest ninuki renju player. It seems player 1 has too much of an advantage for this second move to be allowed.

Message was edited by: watsu at Sep 15, 2017 12:08 AM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
dmitriking

Posted: Sep 15, 2017, 1:00 AM

What's the difference between this game and Pente?

(I tried wikipedia, but the wiki page for Pente is pitiful. Has anyone thought about improving the page?)

watsu

Home page
Posted: Sep 15, 2017, 1:59 AM

My understanding is that five in a rows can be captured across, first player is forbidden from making double threes and 6 in a row doesn't win are the main differences. More complete rules for playing it can be found at http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/ninuki.html
I think someone from here might have attempted to alter the wikipedia page and ran up against editorial comments of non notability, lack of sources, should be merged and such like. That was a long time ago, so my memory may not be accurate.

Message was edited by: watsu at Sep 15, 2017 1:59 AM

pente_fan

Posted: May 18, 2019, 7:13 PM

sorry for a stupid question but who was the winner?

is this a full game (14 moves)?

watsu

Home page
Posted: May 18, 2019, 7:20 PM

Player two resigned after player one's final move on the board - H7 is forbidden to player two because it makes a double three (at least, I believe this restriction commonly applied to both players and not just the first player) and player one has a double keystone capture threat at J6 (among other issues for player two). In the book I got the game out of, there was a good bit of analysis of the game, but I didn't want to infringe on anyone's copyright and it would have been a lot of typing if I had added it all here.

Without tournament rules even with all the ninuki renju additional rules, the game was too unbalanced in favor of player one. I'd love to see what they'd have done in ninuki renju with tournament rules back in those days.

Replies: 5   Views: 37,979   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]