Home » Forum Home » Completed » Pente - Winter 2007 Below 1700

Topic: 72 hours to play your Rd. 1 match!
Replies: 10   Views: 16,934   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 19, 2007, 2:35 AM by: karlw

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 10   Views: 16,934   Pages: 1  
karlw

72 hours to play your Rd. 1 match!
Posted: Jan 15, 2007, 9:27 AM

Round 1 ended about 30 minutes ago, and 7 people still haven't played. I will be creating topics for each of these games, and you would be wise to post a time you can play if your name graces the title. In 72 hours, any games that aren't played will result in forfeits (if one player has tried to set up the game and the other has done nothing) or double forfeits (if neither player has done much of anything). Get going!

frenchafry

Re: 72 hours to play your Rd. 1 match!
Posted: Jan 17, 2007, 7:45 AM

The rules were two weeks for the first round...that round is over... move on with the next list of players for round two. Or are you going to drag this one out forever also?

karlw

Posted: Jan 17, 2007, 9:05 AM

goddammit french, if you'd been paying attention at all the past 3 months, you'd know that it is my custom to give players a 48 or 72 hour period to play their games, both in the hopes that they will wise up and play, and for the purpose of determining who will forfeit in the event that games do not get played. 24 hours remain.

Thanks for caring.

frenchafry

Posted: Jan 18, 2007, 5:39 AM

Since my last two posts seem to have vaporized I will repeat the high points .Since you're prone to cussing...it most likely is due to lack of control. You would learn that from a good psychology course. Second you can't seem to decide on the official rules. I point out the reference to either 48 or 72 hours .. decided...of course ...on the whim of the high emperor of the tournament. My point is this...it's not good to alter the rules for any reason after the games have started.

karlw

Posted: Jan 18, 2007, 5:41 AM

french, i have been allowing 48-or 72-hour grace periods since round 1 of the first tournament. pull your head out of your hindquarters. for someone who shouldn't even be in the tournament, you seem to know an awful lot about how things should work.

Since you're prone to cussing...it most likely is due to lack of control.

thanks, freudy jungmeister

frenchafry

Posted: Jan 18, 2007, 5:59 AM

I must have missed the grace period in the official rules. I certainly missed the 48 or 72 hour part.. How do you determine which to use?

karlw

Posted: Jan 18, 2007, 7:15 AM

a little principle called "i prefer to see the games get played if they can get played, rather than satisfy your bitchy impatience to get to round 2." you can live your life by it.

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Jan 18, 2007, 4:00 PM

both of you need to cut the nastiness out. there is no absolutely no need to get into it like this.

frenchafry, you bring up some valid points but to me you sound pretty confrontational from the start. that doesn't excuse the reaction from karl, just saying.

karl, in my opinion you need to grow a thicker skin, you are the one in charge, with that job comes alot of ppl complaining about your choices, no matter what they are. i suggest a new rule for you , every time someone writes a post to you about an issue, read it, get pissed off, and then wait until the next day to reply. usually works for me, by the next day i don't care nearly as much and can reply in a civil tone.

as for the actual issues in this topic.
1. karl has done a very good job at moving the fall 2006 pente tournament along. just look at how long I let tournaments drag on, he is doing the best he can to get ppl to play, well done. round 1 of this tournament could have been handled better, lots of forfeits. that is partially my fault since I forgot that i usually send out an email to everyone at the start explaining how to coordinate matchups. the procedures are all detailed in the "getting started" guide but we need to point that all out to new players who don't know. so i think frenchafry your comment about moving it along is unfounded.

2. 48/72 hours extension. yes they are annoying to have to give but if it means we can get a few more matches played then i am all for them. however we should do a better job of communicating that is the official policy, so everyone knows it. in tournaments 1-5 we usually spelled it all out in great detail. i absolutely agree that rules should not be changed after a tournament begins, but extensions are a bit of a gray area.

3. frenchafry has every right to be in this tournament, his rating passed the 1700 test and that is all that mattered. possibly in the future we will come up with other methods of ratings restrictions but we didn't do it this time, so i can't believe you would say frenchafry shouldn't be in this tournament! that is unacceptable to me.

karl, i am getting really sick and tired of having to defend your actions on this site. you are doing a good job running these tournaments (except for the attitude) and i am very happy that we have them going again. but that doesn't mean i have to have you running them. keep that in mind.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
karlw

Posted: Jan 18, 2007, 7:48 PM

i think what got me going was "Or are you going to drag this one out forever also?" considering the obstacles i have to deal with to get these tournaments going smoothly, i can't believe he would have the audacity to say that.

and dweebo, as far as i can tell, there will always be a lot of forfeits in the first round, because there will always be 3 or 4 players who sign up and then forget about it entirely, and no amount of pressuring will get them to play. just look at the other tournament: forfeit rate started out high, then dropped exponentially to basically 0 by round 3. the only problem is since this is double elim it will take 2 rounds to get them out of the tournament.

nodnarbo

Posted: Jan 18, 2007, 11:44 PM

> the
> only problem is since this is double elim it will
> take 2 rounds to get them out of the tournament.

would a rule change to say any forfieted games automatically disqualify a player from a tournament completely be feasable?

karlw

Posted: Jan 19, 2007, 2:35 AM

nod: i am considering that, but i think it might be too harsh for some players, who maybe realized the futility of going up against a #1 or #2 seed when they've only played 20 games in their life, so they might've decided just to wait til round 2. of course, i would've preferred they'd told me something to that effect...

Replies: 10   Views: 16,934   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]