Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: Who is your pick?
Replies: 36   Views: 120,713   Pages: 3   Last Post: Jan 17, 2007, 12:34 AM by: spifster

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 36   Views: 120,713   Pages: 3   [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
karlw

Who is your pick?
Posted: Dec 16, 2006, 11:16 PM

For the finals? (2 people)

richardiii
s3v3n
karlw
gnoza
aaru
jennyferr

For the crown?

bernard

Re: Who is your pick?
Posted: Dec 17, 2006, 3:40 AM

Wow! There should be a betting pool. I got $10 on... eh hmmm... richardiii and karlw.

richardiii

Posted: Dec 17, 2006, 4:05 AM

jeez, can we bet too?

Message was edited by: richardiii at Dec 16, 2006 10:07 PM

dr_hyde

Posted: Dec 17, 2006, 4:06 AM

Well I'm not at all sure I can agree with that assessment. The R3 fellow is all worn out, away with the faeries, and all that. Gone for a Burton from what I hear. And that karlw has got too much front, so I expect he’ll go up the spout. Now that s3v3n fellow is a real pukka from what i am told so I’d have place my money on s3v3n and that lollypop lass jennyferr.

s3v3n

Home page
Posted: Dec 17, 2006, 4:27 PM

lol i think there will be another group stage, with 3 or even 4 players..

jayhawklov

Posted: Dec 17, 2006, 9:46 PM

Lets see I pick (Andrzej, Richardiii,Nosovsky, and Utratos) and to top that group Virag, S Justice, Dmitriking and Progambler in there prime. Now I would pay money to see that World Best Final.

karlw

Posted: Dec 17, 2006, 9:58 PM

sadly, most of those players are too afraid to come out of hiding and play me.

jayhawklov

Posted: Dec 18, 2006, 12:45 AM

I am always in the mind to disagree with some statements and let me explain. There are a few legends of this game that have played against all of the greats and played in many Turnbased or live Pente tourneys thru the last 10 years or so. Gary Barnes/Progambler won 2 world pbem world championships and over 50 IYT tournys against all competition, Virag has won major tourneys here, as well as Dmitriking and SJustice. Utratos/Los Katos just won the Polish National Championships along with many other tourneys and can be played at Kurnik during the day since ive played him many times there. Now lets just see Karls record against the Top 3 of my list 6 and 17 against Richardiii, 0 and 2 against Brain 008, and 1 and 13 against Nosovosky. There are always the young upstarts that believe they are better than the rest of the world but are they or are they pretenders? One tourney means nothing but legends are made from 50 to 100 tourneys thru many years of play and not just on one site. So to become great you need to find the legends (Where ever they are) and challenge them or find the big tourneys at IYT, Brainking, Kurnik, and beat them there. They will never come to you because they have nothing to prove. After 20 some years of playing against many of the greats Im still searching for some of the old Masters to play, especially the Russian players that taught Nosovsky how to play this game so well. Ego is wonderful but to really earn your place in the best of the best players you have to respect the game and give respect to some of the great players of all time. I know this is a hard concept for the future generation but someone has to say it. Good luck in your quest hopefully you will learn from this. Jayhawklov (For the love of the game of Pente)

karlw

Posted: Dec 18, 2006, 4:21 AM

let's keep in mind that i've been playing this game for all of 11 months, whereas these pros you speak of probably took 20+ years to amass all the credentials that you fawn over. Furthermore, the reason my record against certain players is bad is because they only played me when i sucked, brain especially. it's easy to reminisce about how great all the legends were, but if they're not gonna give me a fair shot at playing them that's not my fault.

They will never come to you because they have nothing to prove.

Sure they have nothing to prove, but the least they could do is show up and play me once in a while, if only to teach me a thing or two and ensure that the knowledge of the previous generation gets passed on to us young folk.

Your post reminds of the whole "greatest generation" baloney, when men were men and wars were real wars. for chrissakes legends aren't created overnight. thanks for your support jay, i really appreciate it.

Good luck in your quest hopefully you will learn from this.

yes where would i be without you old wise men reminding me of my mortality. maybe take some of your energy spent poo-pooing me and direct it towards making me a better player.

richardiii

Posted: Dec 18, 2006, 5:37 AM

}8¬Þ

homebrew

Posted: Dec 18, 2006, 1:10 PM

richard:
Either I need a Rosetta Stone to translate your hieroglyphics or you were enjoying some of that high grade Scotch you favor, in which case, a Rosetta Stone wouldn't do me much good

Jay:
Well put. Only one minor complaint; you forgot to list partica and myself amongst your all-time greats. For my part, consider yourself forgiven

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Dec 18, 2006, 3:38 PM

Tough picking, especially with the big round this time, and the fact that there have been so many upsets (based on DSG seeding) this tournament, I think it probably is a record.

I'm betting a ton of people are secretely hoping karl will go down in flames, and an equal amount of people are hoping r3 won't walk away with it again

I actually have no good guesses but I have to pick r3 as the old favorite and jenny as the new "unknown" since she has won a number of big sets in this tournament already and could do it again.

I'm excited to see how it turns out, whoever wins! This has been one of the more competitive tournaments here at DSG, many thanks again to karlw for taking the lead and running it. No matter how you feel towards him personally, you have to give him credit for this tournament, he came to me and asked to run a tournament, got people interested, has been on top of everyone to play their games, has kept things moving, and has been fair in dealing out forfeits only when necessary I think.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
karlw

Posted: Dec 21, 2006, 1:10 AM

Honestly I don't care who advances; I just wanna see an all-american final

delgr

Posted: Dec 22, 2006, 3:03 AM

Geeze!

Is it really necessary to be so abrasive? Jay your wasting your breath. Some people are simply not that congenial. What we see here is a good example of a ugly American. It is a shame that this is what the future generation of disrespect has become. Me Me Me!!! no class at all.. I will heckle everyone.

karlw

Posted: Dec 22, 2006, 3:12 AM

awww you're so cute del.

maybe let's try to stay on topic. for god's sake, how many more of my topics are gonna turn into indictments of my character? I ask a simple question and I get a tirade.

Replies: 36   Views: 120,713   Pages: 3   [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]