Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: What should the next tournament be? Vote here!
Replies: 25   Views: 92,906   Pages: 2   Last Post: Dec 2, 2006, 8:34 PM by: nodnarbo

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 25   Views: 92,906   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
karlw

What should the next tournament be? Vote here!
Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 2:30 AM

After the big pente tournament ends, which should be around Christmas, I will be creating another tournament, and it won't be pro-pente. It will either be Keryo-Pente or Connect6. This tournament will NOT have the requirement that you have an established rating; I will talk to dweebo about an alternate requirement. Vote for which one you want to see!

spifster

Re: What should the next tournament be? Vote here!
Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 2:43 AM

C6

up2ng

Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 3:39 AM

You da man karlw! More tournaments around here would be fantastic. If you are interested in running tournaments, consider having more regular (weekly?) speed tournaments.

If you do speed tournaments, my suggestion is to advertise those well in advance, but don't even open the signups until perhaps 15 minutes before the scheduled start time.

As for large tournaments, the reason for the rule about being established, in general, is to weed out players brand new to the site who just surfed in for the day, saw that there was a tournament, signed up on a whim, and then never return to DSG again. No Shows ruin tournaments. However, there's always a chance that someone could play 20 quick games in one day and become established, then sign up for the tournament before disappearing... but that would be less common.

However, for something like Connect6, it's clear that there may not be very many players with established status, even amongst the "regulars" on the site, since it is a new game type. And a tournament may be just the thing to spur more interest in new game types.

You may want to try to implement a system that tracks whether a player is an "active" player in general rather than whether they are "established" in a particular game type. For example, advertise the tournament in advance and create 3 signup deadlines. Players must sign up a month in advance to qualify. Then, players must sign up AGAIN before the tournament is 2 weeks away. Then, players sign up YET AGAIN before the tournament begins. This weeds out web surfers who have no real interest in DSG but allows provisional players to sign up.

I love creating more work for Dweebo...

melanie

Home page
Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 4:16 AM

well said up2ng...
i vote for C-6

mel

thad

Home page
Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 9:13 AM

I don't care what game it is, but karlw should NOT under any circumstances run it!!!

karlw

Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 9:25 AM

I'll keep that in mind.

gnoza

Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 12:35 PM

Keryo-Pente

marshall

Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 4:13 PM

i'd like to see another intermediate round robin tourny so aaru can put his crown on the line...

>_>
<_<
^_^

etnep

Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 6:17 PM

Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente Keryo-Pente

aaru

Home page
Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 6:32 PM

C6

____
aaru

aaru

Home page
Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 6:33 PM

C6

____
aaru

karlw

Posted: Nov 23, 2006, 8:53 PM

Sorry aaru, no voting twice. And as for the below-1700 pente tournament, I've had that in mind for a while now, and I will talk to dweebo about it. The only problem is, since aaru is now above 1700, he is no longer eligible for the tournament and thus will not be able to defend his crown. So sad...

spifster

Posted: Nov 24, 2006, 1:26 AM

I think this means he forfeits it

marshall

Posted: Nov 25, 2006, 2:24 AM

anyone under 1700 at the time of sign-up should be eligible...especially seeing as how this tourny prolly wont happen right away...and i meant swiss rules, not round robin...i like it when everyone gets to play every round...sucks to wait 6 months for a new tourny and get knocked out in one round...

nodnarbo

Posted: Nov 25, 2006, 4:00 AM

I vote swiss, and whether it is keryo or C6 I don't really have a preference but please decide in advance of the tournament long enough so we can get some games in before it starts

Replies: 25   Views: 92,906   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]