Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: Early 2023 tournaments restriction to established players?
Replies: 7   Views: 7,273   Pages: 1   Last Post: Feb 15, 2023, 4:11 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 7   Views: 7,273   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
Early 2023 tournaments restriction to established players?
Posted: Jan 22, 2023, 3:27 PM

I think that for Pente variants and some of the less played games (gomoku, Go) here that there shouldn't be a restriction to established players (over 20 games) participating. For examp!e, Zoeyk wouldn't currently qualify for TB Boat Pente, Karlw wouldn't currently qualify for TB Poof, owen_ wouldn't currently qualify for TB gomoku and I wouldn't currently qualify for TB D Pente. Karl and I have both won crowns in tournaments which we wouldn't qualify for and I think that those who are familiar with Zoeyk and owen_ would agree that Boat and gomoku tournaments which they couldn't participate in (should they choose) would be lacking without their participation. Just my two cents.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

daniel5

Re: Early 2023 tournaments restriction to established players?
Posted: Jan 28, 2023, 10:37 PM

To second Watsu, it can take a lot of time to get to 20 rated sets. 20 rated sets may be limiting the participation in tournaments here.

I understand the 20 game threshold for inclusion into site ranking lists. But it would be nice to jump into tournaments earlier.

- ps I do like the fact that there are Masters/amateur division for pente.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jan 30, 2023, 2:36 PM

I removed the restrictions for all games except pente

daniel5

Posted: Jan 30, 2023, 4:53 PM

Thank you rainwolf!

owen_

Posted: Jan 31, 2023, 11:18 PM

Well, actually I wasn't going to play the gomoku tournament because time control of 2 days per move is quite risky.
But now I feel obliged to participate =)

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jan 31, 2023, 11:41 PM

Thanks, rainwolf. Hopefully Karlw, Zoeyk and others who might not have been able to will no participate in some of the tournaments too.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
owen_

Posted: Feb 15, 2023, 2:14 PM

I see that creating the SE tournament table was ignoring non-established ratings so I had a starting number 4 (the last). On one hand, it's a reasonable thing because who knows how strong is this noob; on the other hand, it leads to the fact I'm playing the strongest player in the tournament. If I win, my opp (rated top-1) will not be able to get the 2nd place.

If we speak about top-1 only, it doesn't matter. But if no, than it seems to be a good idea to upgrade the process of start numbers generating.

First approach is to use provisional ratings with the same weight as established. It should disturb final results less.

Second approach may be in forcing some seeded (like top 1/4 of participants) to avoid provisional dark horses in first round or two. Discussible.

Sorry for my poor English =) Hope it's not that hard to get my ideas.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Feb 15, 2023, 4:11 PM

Yes, that's a bit of a quirk in the seeding system. Traditionally in tournaments here for a long time, there's only been an acknowledgement with a crown for the first place finisher. However, it would be nice at some point to have provisional ratings count in seeding and acknowledge at least the second and third place finishers in some manner, at least in the larger tournaments.

Replies: 7   Views: 7,273   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]