Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: Vacation days for Pente Masters 2020
Replies: 45   Views: 94,321   Pages: 4   Last Post: Jul 22, 2020, 12:50 AM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 45   Views: 94,321   Pages: 4   [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
karlw

Vacation days for Pente Masters 2020
Posted: Jun 30, 2020, 7:40 PM

You can now use vacation time in the Pente Masters 2020 tournament. I welcome this change, but I have qualms regarding the ability to buy vacation days (10 days for the low price of 3 Euros). I think everyone will agree that you should NOT be able to use purchased vacation days in the tournament. So we either need tournament code that a) sets a max # of vacation days used in the tournament or b) prevents you from using purchased vacation days for tournament games.

Have you given this any thought, RW?

rainwolf

Home page
Re: Vacation days for Pente Masters 2020
Posted: Jul 1, 2020, 1:12 AM

In reality, only every 3-4 years one person actually buys vacation, so the odds of abuse that way are slim to none. I can agree with the sentiment, I don't like tournaments being prolonged unnecessarily either, but a) and b) are quite a bit of work to get ready before the tournament starts.
And I don't agree that purchased days shouldn't be able to be used in tournaments, due to unforeseen circumstances, one could have no vacation left and the ability to buy them before the tournament puts them on equal footing with those who still have vacation days. I'm most in favor of a), and not so much b).

What I might be able to get ready is to block the vacation purchases for tournament participants during the tournament itself.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jul 1, 2020, 1:46 AM

Personally, I think one should be able to win tournaments by purchasing vacation days until one's opponent keels over from boredom. /s

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
watsu

Home page
Posted: Jul 2, 2020, 3:23 PM

Seriously though, this is perhaps the strongest TB field I've seen since brf's 10th St. Patty's tourney 4 years ago. I sent messages about it to a lot of old master players including nosovs, vbarykin, gd_barnes, richardiii, dmitriking, virag, sjustice etc. Maybe others can as well and some of them might decide to join?
And no, I'm currently not planning to join, despite being asked by a few players. If I change my mind, I'll enter, but it won't be influenced by notes urging me to join. It might be influenced by who else joins, though
ETA: as pente_gon mentioned, this may be the last chance to play TB against this strong a field, so be sure to let retired players know...

Message was edited by: watsu at Jul 2, 2020, 3:34 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jul 4, 2020, 8:30 AM

well i joined, at you and Karl's request against my better judgement, should be enough to make you join in any event it will be a nice if you join, but if not, then perhaps you can be like a sports announcer, but in a way that doesn't kibitz of course. as to winning by purchasing vacation days infinitely, i have my visa card on stand by.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
watsu

Home page
Posted: Jul 4, 2020, 2:09 PM

It's specific strong players who I might know weaknesses for better than others that I'm looking to have join, Zk. You definitely don't qualify on that score

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jul 6, 2020, 2:27 AM

Ok. I'm hella rusty tho... anyhoo, I talked to nosovs on FB, he wont play. R3 and dmitri haven't responded yet. I doubt they will play. I didnt message mmammel yet on FB, but I think you did already.
So far I have found little to no novelties that get me excited yet. I'm not really sure what to do about my P2s. Hopefully I get inspired before the 10th. Or else I'll just wedge? ....

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jul 6, 2020, 3:49 AM

Ok R3 signed up.... good enough watsu?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jul 6, 2020, 4:39 AM

Excellent work getting Riii (did he just say he would? I don't see him on the list of players) but I need specific players I may have an edge against otherwise my opportunities seem pretty miniscule.

Message was edited by: watsu at Jul 6, 2020, 4:41 AM

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jul 6, 2020, 4:57 AM

Umm, look to the bottom of list. He's there. He's just provisional in turn based, as he's a live player like me.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jul 6, 2020, 5:01 AM

I think some good P2 first moves to look at will be, K7, or L9, or N9.

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Jul 6, 2020, 5:01 AM

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jul 6, 2020, 5:08 AM

Watsu, let's cut to the chase. Which player do you want to sign up to target? I'll go ask them to join....
And I'm fine to practice some opening ideas in the lobby pre tourney if you like... I'm not taking this all too serious, it's just for fun...

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jul 6, 2020, 5:09 AM

I see him now; there were only 26 entrants when I looked earlier. One or more of the top renju players from mindoku who play Pente there: Ants, Allever, Brenetikas, AlQaholic are a few names, but there are probably others...
Ikla and Qaismodo would work too, but I haven't seen either of them for awhile.

Message was edited by: watsu at Jul 6, 2020, 5:10 AM

karlw

Posted: Jul 7, 2020, 9:13 PM

The hilarious thing is that Richard is almost certainly going to be the last seed (provisionals after established, and he's in the 1800s provisional), so he will almost certainly be in pente_gon's section in Round 1.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jul 7, 2020, 10:14 PM

Well, I could see a high probability of both of them advancing to the second round in that scenario, where if Richiii met a different player in the first round perhaps only one player from the first round would advance.

Replies: 45   Views: 94,321   Pages: 4   [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]