Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: live speed tournaments
Replies: 7   Views: 24,726   Pages: 1   Last Post: Apr 27, 2020, 2:21 AM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 7   Views: 24,726   Pages: 1  
rainwolf

Home page
live speed tournaments
Posted: Apr 12, 2020, 3:56 AM

A little extra info about how the automagical speed tournaments will work

- An hour before the tournament starts, a new room especially for the tournament will be spawned, this is the one that needs to be joined when you participate (or want to spectate). The tournament starts at the advertised time sharp.
- There is a 3 minute delay between rounds, the 1st round has a 5 minute delay for latecomers.
- The server automagically creates tables and seats players according to matchups. Tables are cleared automatically 1 minute after the match is concluded. Use this if you want a break. If you leave the table before then, the server will match you up again if possible. As long as you are seated, the server will leave you alone.
- You get 30 seconds to press play to start the game. If one or both players fail to do so, the match will be forfeit accordingly. Whenever possible, don't leave the table during the match, the server determines uses your presence to determine forfeits as well.
- Once you forfeit a game against an opponent, all other games against that same opponent, in the same round, will be forfeited as well. This is something to note when you play in a swiss tournament where you have 4 games against the same opponent per round.
- Be present in the tournament room even when your opponent is not, this will decide a potential forfeit in your favor.
- There's a 3 minute pause between rounds, in case you need to empty your bladder, or get a refill for your bladder.

I think that's it, any questions?

Message was edited by: rainwolf at Apr 15, 2020, 4:16 AM

watsu

Home page
Re: live speed tournaments
Posted: Apr 15, 2020, 4:13 AM

Once the code gets worked out, any chance of these tourneys being tied to their respective KotH ladders, so that games won or lost in the tourney count as KotH games?
One would still need to further contest for the KotH crown in some cases if there is a lot of non tourney KotH action, but it seems as though the speed tourney games should have that added perk to encourage both tournament participation and hill activity.

Message was edited by: watsu at Apr 15, 2020, 4:14 AM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 15, 2020, 4:16 AM

Anything is possible, but I'm not sure why you'd want that?

I thought of tournaments separate from KotH, different crowns and you get to keep it longer too.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Apr 15, 2020, 4:22 AM

Sorry, came back for an explanatory edit. Basically, the KotH board would function as a tournament ladder, encouraging frequent tournament participation to maintain one's ladder standing. And, more activity in the inactive speed KotH games from tournament might encourage more non tournament participation in the ladder as well. "Oh, so and so has both crowns for this game, huh? Well, let me beat up on my buddy in KotH and take one away" sort of thinking.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 15, 2020, 4:33 AM

not bad, that's something I'll definitely consider.

karlw

Posted: Apr 20, 2020, 1:11 AM
rw.png (113.6 K)

Just noticed the tournament page redesign. Subtle.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 20, 2020, 1:14 AM

Behold the glory that is your leader!

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 27, 2020, 2:21 AM

I'm starting to think that the server should start the game if the players fail to do so, instead of forfeiting the game for whoever didn't press play. This is not ideal for games with longer tome controls though.

Replies: 7   Views: 24,726   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]