Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: World Championship in Vegas, Aug. 2004
Replies: 68   Views: 166,079   Pages: 5   Last Post: Sep 1, 2004, 11:09 PM by: snut

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 68   Views: 166,079   Pages: 5   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
snut

Home page
Re: World Championship in Vegas, Aug. 2004
Posted: Aug 3, 2004, 4:33 PM

the first post of this topic from greg says 11:00, not 10:00... I guess I'll have to not stay out too late friday night drinking and gambling...

Or I'll end up like my picture during the tourney. hahahahahahaha!

Message was edited by: snut at Aug 3, 2004 10:33 AM

partica

Posted: Aug 3, 2004, 5:39 PM

I apologize for any confusion regarding this tournament.

The time that is most important is start time on Saturday, August 7th and that is 10 am.

Hope to see everyone there bright eyed and bushy tailed

up2ng

Posted: Aug 3, 2004, 7:19 PM

Just to add my two cents:

Please everyone do your best to show up early, well before 10 am local time, on Saturday so that we can start playing at or at least near 10 am. Perhaps plan to arrive at 9:30 or 9:45 so that if you are a bit late you will still be early! As far as I know, the room actually becomes available to our group before 10 so don't worry about not being able to get in or whatever.

And if anyone out there is thinking of showing up spur of the moment who is not already on the "paid" list (I thought nearly 30 people expressed interest by signing up at playpente.com), there should not be any problem with that. However, please post a message or contact somebody by email or something beforehand so you are expected, show up early, and bring your fee.

I assume that once the site is found, it will not be hard to figure out which room our group is in...

Looking forward to it!

dmitriking

Posted: Aug 3, 2004, 8:03 PM

to paraphrase bart simpsons... "there's a ten oclock in the morning now?"

partica

Posted: Aug 4, 2004, 3:38 PM

The World Championship will be held
Saturday the 7th and Sunday the 8th of August 2004
in the great city of Las Vegas, Nevada.

Tournament Location:
CALICO JACKS SALOON 8200 W CHARLESTON BLVD
Las Vegas, NV-89117, 702-233-5574

Tournament Schedule:
Saturday August 7th
Room opens at 9 am.
9 am to 10 am - Everyone shows up to meet, discuss any tournament details, and basically wake up!

10 am to Lunch Break - Pente Pente Pente
Lunchbreak lasts an hour
After lunch break to 5 pm - Pente Pente Pente

Sunday August 8th
Sunday is pretty much a repeat of Saturday

I would suggest showing up a few minutes early so that we can get everything ironed out and over with before we start playing games.

If anyone is interested in attending:
The entry fee is $50. $5 of the entry fee will go to the cost of the tournament and the rest is prize money.

You can send your entry fee via PayPal to:
worldchampionship@playpente.com

Be sure to add a little extra for the PayPal fees (about $2).

OR

Bring yourself, your pente set, your chess clock, and your entry fee to Calico Jacks Saturday August 7th at 9:30 am so you can get registered! No one will be turned away!

Tournament Format:
The tournament will be held using a format that is based on World Cup soccer. Namely, on the first day, everyone will be broken up into sections and each section will play a round robin tournament within that section. The top two players from that section will go on to play in single elimination bracket play the next day for the championship. This format is good for all level players since it gives a great number of games to play yet still allows for a single undisputed champion.

Required Materials:
Chess clock
Pente set

Message was edited by: partica at Aug 4, 2004 9:38 AM

snut

Home page
Posted: Aug 5, 2004, 12:47 AM

I don't play chess, so I don't have a chess clock. However, if they're not "too" expensive, then I don't have an aversion to buying one. But what I'm wondering is, will it really be necessary for me to do this, or will we have enough???

partica

Posted: Aug 5, 2004, 2:47 AM

Your statement worries me, how many have that same thought? We will have to figure something out if more than say um half did

Chess clocks vary in price from $35 - $$$(you name it). There are sometimes good deals online but that requires 6 to 8 weeks. hehe.

I will be without internet access for the next 48 hours or so. Most questions can be answered by scrolling up and reading the posts above or by going to www.playpente.com and reading the info under Tourneys - World Championship (information is posted earlier in this thread)

partica

Posted: Aug 5, 2004, 3:16 AM

Oh yeah, stop watches would work, you got one of those???

richardiii

Posted: Aug 5, 2004, 4:02 AM

Well, i'm sorry, but it looks like i am not coming after all. I am so sorry.

R3

8^(

thad

Home page
Posted: Aug 5, 2004, 4:41 AM

Stopwatches won't work. You have to keep separate time for each of the two players.

Thad

galeenster

Home page
Posted: Aug 5, 2004, 7:17 AM

Hi......
iamsam and myself(galeenster) are heading to Vegas tomorrow(Thurs) night and will be staying at the Westin Hotel. I have a Game and will pick up a chess clock on the way. Anyone staying along the strip or general area interested in sharing a cab or picking us up, please give us a call.
Gaylan
970-846-9667 cell#

Looking forward to meeting everyone........
Hopefully more will show at the last minute.

galeenster

Home page
Posted: Aug 5, 2004, 7:20 AM

Just another quick note.......
If anybody needs any help with anything for the tourney, call my cell. Will be happy to help.
Gaylan 970-846-9667

mufasa

Posted: Aug 7, 2004, 1:44 AM

Hello ALL,
DUE to some very unfortunate tragedies happening in my family within the past 2 weeks, one of which was me purchasing my plane ticket to Vegas online Tuesday night and not being able to get a refund for it by Thursday night, which was by no means the worst of the lastest events in my life.

I can't believe i'm not in VEGAS right now, but under the current circumstances and it kills me to have to come to this point, but i will not be attending the VEGAS TOURNAMENT. I apologize to all that are attending, and i definitely owe Partica a very special apology.

I hope that all of you that are attending have a really wonderful time, I'm sure you will, because if we could have a great time together in Oklahoma, I'm sure you guys can have a spectacular time in Vegas together and if you can't then i don't even want to know who you are...lol.
Remember what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, that is a rule i'm sure some of you are going to have to use in/for your defense...lol...just kidding...i hope

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!
MUFASA

partica

Posted: Aug 7, 2004, 6:20 AM

Family comes first girl! Peace Love and Light my friend! Thank you for informing us all!

Vegas Rocks! We are having a blast!!!WOOOHOOOO!

Message was edited by: partica at Aug 10, 2004 1:44 PM

teefo

Posted: Aug 9, 2004, 12:26 AM

Hello All, Long time no see.
I just got back from Quebec,Canada.
Although I did have a wonderful time, I'm still envious,(lol) cuz I wanted so much to be in Vegas with you all,even though theres so many of you whom I have'nt had the pleasure to meet. Unfortunately I just could'nt be in 2 places at the same time.
I've been keeping up with all the Posts regarding the Vegas Tourney, and I tell ya, the excitement between the Vegas Trip and My Trip has been parallel
If you all had near as much fun as we did in Oklahoma, I know you had a Great time.
I am anxious to hear all the details (the ones that can be shared anyway, lol)Ultimately, I'm anxious to hear,
WHO WON?

teefo/Terry

Replies: 68   Views: 166,079   Pages: 5   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]