Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: DSG 5th tournament, cash prize!
Replies: 4   Views: 30,039   Pages: 1   Last Post: May 21, 2004, 10:39 PM by: dweebo

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 4   Views: 30,039   Pages: 1  
dmitriking

DSG 5th tournament, cash prize!
Posted: Dec 31, 2003, 4:49 AM

To liven things up a bit, I am offering a 50 dollar cash prize to the winner of the tournament. This prize comes from my own funds and not Dweebo's or DSG's. I make no guarantees that I will do this for any future tournaments, so sign up now if the thought of playing for a shot at a prize interests you!

up2ng

Re: DSG 5th tournament, cash prize!
Posted: Dec 31, 2003, 9:49 PM

Wow! Thanks Dmitri! That sounds great and is quite a generous offer. It looks like there will be a fairly competitive participant field even if the number of signups is smaller than hoped and I'm sure a cash prize will make things that much more intense and fun.

First of all, I assume that you mean that there will be a cash prize only for the Section A champion.

I was wondering if there has been any consideration made to cancelling the Section B tournament and just having all participants that have signed up so far play in the main tournament -- and be eligible for the cash prize. I'm not sure how many folks signed up specifically for the Section B tourney and whether these people would object to being put into Section A but it might be worth sending these individuals a note and getting their input -- if there are fewer signups than we had hoped, splitting them into 2 sections may make things even smaller and it might be more fun to have one larger tournament.

Also, along the same lines, I wonder if any thoughts have been made to postpone the signup deadline. Today, December 31, 2003 is cited to be the last day available to signup and there are currently 28 participants signed up. I just think that perhaps the announcement for this tournament wasn't posted all that long ago and the signup period has persisted during a holiday season -- perhaps folks have just been busy during the holidays and haven't seen the announcement or have pushed it to the back of their minds. Perhaps a two week extention, combined with some friendly email reminders will help boost signups (at least boost it past the level where we will have a quarterfinal playoff round -- 32+ required).

Anyway, I'd be interested in knowing what the directors Mark, Joe, Gary and Peter think of these issues as well as anyone else who wants to voice up.

UP2NG

dmitriking

Posted: Jan 2, 2004, 12:00 AM

yes, the prize is for section A, and it does look like there might not be enough people to even have section B at all. I also think the deadline should be extended by two weeks, as there have been 8 signups just in the last week or so, indicating that more will likely sign up if the deadline is extended.

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Jan 11, 2004, 9:03 PM

Yes, a cash prize is exciting, thanks for choosing to do that dmitri.

Obviously the signup deadline has been extended, just because I've been too busy with my newborn son Aiden to turn off the signup. Right now there are 32 players signed up, which seems like a good number if everyone plays in one section. I'll talk it over with Mark and see what we want to do.

Pente Rocks!
dweebo

Home page
Posted: May 21, 2004, 10:39 PM

RichardIII was the winner of the cash prize for winning DSG tournament 5!

He has graciously chosen to donate his winnings to DSG which is just fine with me! I appreciate richard donating and dmitri offering the prize and I'm also glad for their excellent play in the tournament, congrats to you both!

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
Replies: 4   Views: 30,039   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]