Home » Forum Home » Turn-based

Topic: Turn-based pente tournament?
Replies: 5   Views: 25,692   Pages: 1   Last Post: Sep 8, 2008, 4:59 AM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Views: 25,692   Pages: 1  
karlw

Turn-based pente tournament?
Posted: Sep 11, 2007, 8:34 PM

Haven't had one yet, would be a great way to drum up some more participation in turn-based. You don't even really need a director! I'll donate however much is necessary for you to write the code, dweebo, and I expect zoey and some others would be willing to split.

-Karl

dweebo

Home page
Re: Turn-based pente tournament?
Posted: Sep 11, 2007, 8:47 PM

That is great of you to offer karl! I really appreciate it. I do want to add turn-based tournaments and I think it will be a good thing to work on after I finish the other stuff (which will be done pretty soon I think).

I agree we don't really need directors. I'm thinking of allowing anyone who has donated the ability to create tournaments, and there isn't really a need to do anything after it has been created.

I think as part of tournaments we will need some more advanced ways of timing games. So we don't have 7 days per move for the whole tournament (like aaru's tournament at BK). I'm sure someone has already thought of solutions to this problem so please post them here.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
up2ng

Posted: Nov 17, 2007, 2:18 AM

Simplest thing would be to have a time limit for the entire game in addition to the time limit for each move (this could be a feature in all of turn-based, not just for tournaments). So, for example, each set (or match) of a tournament might be set up for 3 days / move, 7 days / game. So, if you think a game will go 25 moves or so, you'll be wanting to play several moves each day, but you could take up to 3 days thinking about that one critical move that could make or break the game. This way, each player has a running total of 7 days to finish all their moves, so the game will not last more than 14 days (a set could take up to a month). This is just an example, and in this case, there could be some trouble if opponents were in different time zones so that it always becomes your turn just after you've gone to sleep. Perhaps the timer for each player could be paused during their specified sleeping hours...

Good luck!

yourself

Posted: Nov 23, 2007, 11:40 PM

Also in my ever so humble opinion, turn-based tourneys at pente.org would far exceed the popularity of those at other sites once word got out that the scoring/elimination made soooo much more sense here, i.e. true set scoring as opposed to the knuckleheaded notion of a point system where you're docked for a split set. This combined with a timing system that doesn't swing in the favor of youth because the adults who start the tourney won't live long enough to see the end will likely result in a floodgate effect......

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Aug 31, 2008, 5:26 AM

> i.e. true set scoring as opposed to the knuckleheaded
> notion of a point system where you're docked for a
> split set.

Ok i realize this thread is ancient but I've been thinking about turn-based tournaments more. tournaments are key to pente.org's success and in attracting and keeping players.

so i do like the idea of using sets as part of the tournament, but i'm wondering if that might cause the tournaments to drag on even more, as it is pretty likely that top players ARE going to have a draw for the set.

i know there are a bunch of you out there who love to come up with tournament formats, so what would make the most sense for turn-based?

if we go with a round-robin format which seems to be what is used mostly at other sites, but use sets of course.
then would we just count up the total wins and draws to determine who moves on? it might end up that there are a bunch of draws and therefore a bunch of ties for 1st place in each bracket. but maybe that is ok, lots of people move on each round, lots of rounds but eventually a winner. if we use a more intelligent timing system and make the times short it might be ok.

i guess the other way it could work is you have to win or lose to each player in your bracket, even if it takes 5 sets for it to happen. i guess i don't like that idea as much.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
watsu

Home page
Posted: Sep 8, 2008, 4:59 AM

My guess is that at least to start out with having the player ratings remain unchanged on split sets but having players advance in the BK manner would work out ok. Not ideal but it would be an improvement over the BK ratings and the tournaments themselves would be no different than the ways BK allows in terms of who advances. (There are several ways- entrants just have to decide which type(s) they prefer to play in).

Coming up with satisfactory new alternative methods for advancing in tournaments is problematic- in general, I think it's preferable to leave the adjustments as something which happens through game variants than to try to tweak tourney formats. Having said that, in the long term I think having players play from duplicated board positions would be an interesting tournament format to experiment with for Pente.

Total game time limits per player of say 1 week would be one way to make things expedite, as mentioned upthread. Players could then agree before the game starts as to when during the course of the week they would most likely be online to make several moves during a single 24 hour period as needed... similar to the way opponents need to schedule real time games.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 5   Views: 25,692   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]