Home » Forum Home » Turn-based

Topic: Turn-based TODO list
Replies: 36   Views: 70,332   Pages: 3   Last Post: Oct 13, 2006, 3:45 PM by: dweebo

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 36   Views: 70,332   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
partica

Re: Turn-based TODO list
Posted: Aug 18, 2005, 4:59 AM

Okay, maybe it is just me but...When I go to create a new game there is a string that reads Message 255 max characters but I don't get a box to enter anything? Is this just in the works...am I having an error? or what?

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Aug 19, 2005, 3:05 AM

Ok richard, I think what you want is just a cancel option and that should cover it. The games are going to be private while they are in progress, so if there is a cancel option you can agree with your opponent and no one else will ever see the game.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
dweebo

Home page
Posted: Aug 19, 2005, 3:06 AM

Yes, there should be a text box there partica, that is odd.
I'll see whats up.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
up2ng

Posted: Aug 20, 2005, 2:30 AM

Wow! D-Poof-G-Keryo Pente sounds pretty serious...

Will that be a live option also? Just think -- we could set up a 1/0 Speed D-Poof-G-Keryo Pente tournament! Oh, the maddness...

up2ng

Posted: Aug 22, 2005, 5:13 AM

I want to reiterate partica's suggestion about the feature to play turn-based games as a set. This should ensure that both games are played against the same opponent and is clearly marked in the available games list, etc.

In addition, the ratings should be adjusted only once, after the entire set has been completed (not adjusted after the first game of the set is completed). When one or the other player wins both games of a set, the rating should be adjusted according to the same formula as always. However, when the players split a set 1 - 1, the match is a draw, and BOTH PLAYERS' RATINGS SHOULD REMAIN UNCHANGED!

If you get a chance to actually knock out some of the items on this TODO list, start with this one. Let me know when it's done so I can start playing turn based here! (It's my personal policy to play turn-based only according to the above parameters.)

Thanks Dweebo! You rock!

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Aug 22, 2005, 3:46 PM

I'm kind of disappointed it took you so long to bring up sets for turn-based up2ng, I figured you'd let me have it the second it went up

I think this is finally something I will implement regarding sets at DSG. I don't think it is my #1 priority, but I will add it to the TODO list.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
partica

Posted: Aug 23, 2005, 3:27 AM

WOOHOO! YEEEHAW! Glad to read it! I have prayed for the day! AMEN BRUTHA DWEEBO! Yowzers!

richardiii

Posted: Aug 23, 2005, 11:42 PM

I was wondering if you could make the board colors different for different types of games. I almost made pente moves on a gomoku game twice. It doesn't matter in a real-time game because you are always aware of what game you are playing, but when you are going through a list of turn-based games, even with that faint game name in the back ground, you can forget the game type you are playing because the board looks so much the same. I think IYT has that concept right. When I see those different colors I always remember what I am playing.

mightybyte

Posted: Aug 24, 2005, 4:08 AM

Why should both players ratings remain unchanged in a 1-1 split? What if a 900 player is playing a 2000 player. The 2000 player is very likely to win both games. So if the 900 player wins even one, his rating should go up. Or am I not seeing it right?

up2ng

Posted: Aug 24, 2005, 4:25 AM

You are not seeing it right. I won't go into it right now but it has been discussed all over the place in these forums. As a side note, BK does it right, draws always yield no change in ratings.

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Aug 25, 2005, 9:55 PM

Color coding is a good idea, as many people have suggested.

I will add it to the TODO.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
dweebo

Home page
Posted: Sep 28, 2005, 4:04 PM

I just added a couple of new turn-based features, checked a few things off the TODO.

1. weekend days now supported, so everyone gets 2 days a week that you don't have to make a move (timeouts adjusted to skip those days). You can choose any two days you like under My Profile | Preferences | Turn-based. Existing games have not had their timeouts adjusted, but next time you or your opponent make a move in an existing game, the timeout will be set correctly. Vacation time will be added as well, its just a bit trickier than weekends.

2. game over messages are much better now. They include the final message from the player ending the game, the reason the game ended (timeout, resign, win), the ratings change as a result of the game, and a link to the game so you can view it.

3. Viewing your OWN completed turn-based games now includes all the messages included in the game. For games you didn't play in, you can view just the moves, not any messages.

Enjoy!
-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
lepews

Posted: Oct 1, 2005, 12:32 AM

hey dw

great work on the turned-based stuuf - it gets better every day! I love the colour coding, and the ability to play all different games.

My main gripe with it is how small the board is - quite hard to see when it gets busy later in a game.

Is there any way to either:

- make the board resizeable or,
- have two or three size settings, with the current one being the smallest, so that people with larger monitors can make use of the screen estate?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work! it's amazing!!

Lepews

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Oct 1, 2005, 2:05 AM

Yes, I agree bigger boards would be good. I think what I'll do is make is so you can "detach" the board from the screen so that it will be in its own window, and then you can resize it to whatever you want, just like in the live game room.

I'll add it to the TODO.
Good suggestion,
-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
up2ng

Posted: Oct 3, 2005, 1:22 AM

I was just reading back through the messages about the cancel option. In addition to a "cancel button" you might want to make predetermined options while setting up a game with checkboxes, etc. For example, an option that says this game will be unrated and if so, possibly another one that says this game will not be included in the db. That way, if the intention was to play an experimental game and for some reason you are that concerned about looking bad in the db, you don't end up with an opponent who conveniently changes his mind or times out on you.

FYI, BK has the following options (all unchecked by default) available when setting up matches:

Private game (invisible for other players)
Unrated game (the result will not be calculated for players' BKR)
Not counted game (the result will not be shown in players' statistics and the game is always unrated)

I've been slacking on playing turn-based here so far so if these features already exist, just disregard.

Replies: 36   Views: 70,332   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]