Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: game database, analysis, computer opponent PC software
Replies: 15   Views: 159,057   Pages: 2   Last Post: Jul 13, 2020, 11:48 AM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 15   Views: 159,057   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
dweebo

Home page
game database, analysis, computer opponent PC software
Posted: Feb 6, 2012, 6:23 PM

Here is a helpful program (pente db) I created a number of years ago, I was going to try to release it as paid software but couldn't quite complete the job.

So I'm just going to release it now as-is, it is quite powerful already but not super user-friendly.

There are some people who have seen it before who might be able to post some tutorials here and additional analysis files to further develop the pente game space.

Installation:
1. Install Java on your computer if you don't already have it (if you can play online at pente.org you should be good). (note it must be a 32-bit java to get parts of the program to work).
2. Run the pente db installation program.
3. Have fun!

Note that I won't be providing support for this, but feel free to post your experiences/issues here and maybe someone can help.

Peter

Message was edited by: dweebo at Feb 6, 2012 12:29 PM

Fixed link to program, wouldn't post as attachment

Pente Rocks!

aleph_1

Re: game database, analysis, computer opponent PC software
Posted: Feb 7, 2012, 1:46 AM

Very nice, thanks Peter!

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Feb 7, 2012, 7:50 AM

i was surprised to see this thread.

the prog is very powerful as a tool. i have a move file with close to 97,000 personally studied moves recorded in it that i may release at some point in this thread. i also have every brainking pente game ever played recorded to another file as well. these files are made for this program. if you have questions about the prog and i have time i will try to answer them.

this release is quit the pandora's box to open... hope it turns out to be a good thing.

~z

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
dweebo

Home page
Posted: Feb 8, 2012, 4:29 PM

i hope you do decide to release your move analysis file zoey, that would be an awesome contribution to the game of pente and provide us all with a great depth of knowledge about the game.

my original intent of the program was to make creating these sorts of analysis files easy to build, edit and share with others.

Pente Rocks!
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: May 27, 2013, 10:02 PM

So here it is. All the moves ive looked at over the last 3+ years. its a combination of good moves, bad moves, misclicks, etc.. so it will take a skilled player to navigate it and decode it like finding a needle in a hay stack. but for sure there are some diamonds in the rough if you look deep enough. someone may find something rather inspiring. who knows.. enjoy.

http://www.speedyshare.com/yvA85/Zoeyk-s-2010-2013-pente-studies.zip

Zoeyk

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
wedge

Posted: Aug 14, 2013, 8:42 AM

Hi zoeyk ,
i just saw this thread so could you share your file again cause your link doesn't work anymore .
Thx in advance

Message was edited by: wedge at Aug 14, 2013 2:43 AM

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 17, 2013, 2:42 AM

Hi Wedge,
As you know i had responded to you via PM, however, for the readers, i thought i would respond here as well.

The game file from that time has been added to since with several new moves. currently i am playing a game in tourney vs brf and am using the game file to navigate. therefore, i can not release the game file until my game with brf finishes.

when the game finishes i will (if i remember) upload a new version of the game file.

I will additionally mention this: the game file as of this moment now contains 182,436 moves that i have studied. Is that allot? lol

thank you for your interest in my file.

P.s., I think that when i upload the file, i will require people to private message me for the down load link. this way i can kind of know how many people have it for my own curiosity.

I will post a notice here when its uploaded, and then you guys just message me for the link.

and, the game vs brf that im waiting to finish so i can share the file is here:
http://brainking.com/en/ShowGame?g=6299821

this way you can keep notice of how close i am to finishing and thus uploading.

Regards,
Zoey

inigo

Home page
Posted: Aug 22, 2013, 12:09 AM

Hello Dweebo,

I was JUST about to install the software you designed, but it said I'd only have 30 days to review it and then would have to purchase it. But in your online note you said that you were not in fact releasing it as a paid program.
My question is: when I install it, will it still work after thirty days?

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 22, 2013, 1:53 AM

im going to take a shot in the dark here and say that the program may have been sold along with the site and if so maybe the new owner is now charging for the software to fund its future development. just a theory. with that said, as a beta tester, i will say that the program is extremely powerful and such a pivotal tool in doing deep studies for example, that i think it would be worth every penny of lets just say $100 for the pente players whom take studying pente seriously. It is an amazing program, and for those who want to get stronger as pente players i recommend considering purchasing said software. just my 2 cents, and i receive no monetary payments for stating this nor for the sale of said software. im just a beta tester who knows what it is capable of.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 22, 2013, 2:26 AM

so, i have just installed this version to check it and it does not currently have a way to register it. it is possible that it is still a unlimited freeware version for the time being. so download and install it while u can i guess.

Ill do some more investigating to see what the deal is and post if i find out something.

zoey

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jul 13, 2020, 8:42 AM

dweebo open sourced it a while ago. I fixed a few bugs (connect to pente.org online was broken) and added a few scripts that make it possible to run on mac os.
Until he accepts my pull request, you'll have to use my fork for the updated version. Note that I didn't repackage the windows version, since I don't have windows.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jul 13, 2020, 11:10 AM

Sorry what does my fork and repackage mean here? In layman's terms.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jul 13, 2020, 11:21 AM

This is dweebo's original code. By forking I mean I made a copy for myself, and I made changes to it. (Every change can be seen as a step on a road, and a fork as a fork in the road because my copy now diverges from dweebo's because of my changes).

By repackage I mean I didn't create a .exe file (from my changes) that you can run in windows.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jul 13, 2020, 11:28 AM

Ok so, your version connects to data base now even tho site is secured, and runs on mac now. Is installing on windows the same? Still same easy steps? Because I looked briefly at your fork page and the instructions made my eye balls melt.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jul 13, 2020, 11:33 AM

I feel like I or you should make a video tutorial of it, showing how easy it is to install and use. Show how to use it, and show why it's so beneficial to use. Then put the video on the home page below everything else. Heck a introduction video to the site and what it has to offer and how to navigate it would be good. And a video explain pente to beginners.
Ok I'm probably not doing all that lol. But would be nice.

Replies: 15   Views: 159,057   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]