Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Pente (and variants?) for consideration in 2023 mind sports olympics events
Replies: 4   Views: 10,660   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 11, 2022, 6:30 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 4   Views: 10,660   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
Pente (and variants?) for consideration in 2023 mind sports olympics events
Posted: Nov 6, 2022, 2:10 PM

The MSO has announced their 2023 schedule and Pente is currently not on their list of games. https://mindsportsolympiad.com/whats-coming-up-in-2023/
However, I've written to them asking them to consider adding Pente and two Pente variants to (at least) the online Grand Prix starting in January. The two variants (played with swap2 opening rules) which I suggested for consideration are keryo and boat. I picked those two because keryo has the longest tournament history of a Pente variant (starting in 1984) and Boat rules have now been the default swap2 variant in boardgamearena.com's arena play for the current and prior arena seasons. As I hear more details regarding Pente and variants in 2023 MSO events, I'll update this thread.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

t0afer

Re: Pente (and variants?) for consideration in 2023 mind sports olympics events
Posted: Nov 11, 2022, 2:58 AM

I'm glad boat pente has stuck on BGA for arena mode. I usually try to make all my seeks swap2 boat pente if I can.

Its maybe the least invasive balancing mechanism that can be added to pente.

Do you know if they need someone to run it again this year?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Nov 11, 2022, 5:02 AM

I don't know many details regarding whether they need someone to run it, what variant(s) (if any), which site, etc. As I find out more, I'll update here.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
mikaelh

Posted: Nov 11, 2022, 6:27 PM

Thanks for promoting thoose swap2 variants.
Any chance that we might see them here at pente.org?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Nov 11, 2022, 6:30 PM

I think zachburau may have plans to bring swap2 variants here, but he would be the one to ask for a definitive answer on that.

Replies: 4   Views: 10,660   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]