Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: An open challenge to U.S. Pente masters
Replies: 10   Views: 15,274   Pages: 1   Last Post: May 28, 2022, 4:42 AM by: invictus

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 10   Views: 15,274   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
An open challenge to U.S. Pente masters
Posted: May 20, 2022, 6:59 PM

I've been preparing for the past month or so to play in the upcoming mind sports olympics swap2 Pente tournament (May 24th). Last August, I was the only U.S. participant and finished in 6th place. After a significant amount of study, I now feel I have a very strong (and unplayed) proposal - best play by both sides I believe leads to a game which is over 20 moves long. I'm not sure I can do it justice (either Scott or Bill) in live play, though, as evidenced by my recent live D Pente loss to up2ng, who hasn't played in about 10 years. If any live Pente masters from the U.S. are interested in competing, I will give my proposal to the interested player who I think has the best chance of winning (along with my analysis) and contribute to cash prizes for the top 3 places in the tournament. A few names off the top of my head I would consider giving it to include: zoeyk, karlw, richardiii, brf, up2ng, be_water, excel, ksackett, dmitriking, progambler, sjustice, ilurath and snut. PM me if interested. Must be able to play between 2 PM and 4:30 PM Eastern U.S. time on next Tuesday.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

watsu

Home page
Re: An open challenge to U.S. Pente masters
Posted: May 22, 2022, 3:33 PM

This offer is expiring soon, due to the approaching May 24th deadline. I'll need to make a decision and pass along the analysis. Going once...
ETA: the master I choose is under no obligation to use my proposal, if he or she (or they) feel they can do better on their own.

Message was edited by: watsu at May 22, 2022, 4:09 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
mumix

Posted: May 22, 2022, 8:40 PM

I have to work that time but may be able to watch a little bit in the background -- is there a way to watch?

watsu

Home page
Posted: May 22, 2022, 10:25 PM

The game room linked here opens 1/2 before the tournament starts:
https://www.vint.ee/en-gb/tournament/details/194287
ETA: I really wish they'd scheduled it on a weekend, though those who work weekends wouldn't be able to participate. Still, likely to be better in terms of participants.

Message was edited by: watsu at May 23, 2022, 6:43 AM

watsu

Home page
Posted: May 24, 2022, 10:56 PM

Well, I finished in 3rd place. I'm sure a master could have done better with my proposal, but no takers. Congratulations yet again to two time gold medalist pente_gon.

mumix

Posted: May 25, 2022, 4:34 AM

Congrats to you and pente_gon!

watsu

Home page
Posted: May 25, 2022, 1:55 PM

Thanks, mumix. It was a small (14 players) but very competitive tournament. Six of us ended up winning 4/7 games, I just managed to beat the highest seeded players in my 4 wins. Pente_gon has a 14 game winning streak in these now.

gkauffman

Posted: May 26, 2022, 8:25 PM

Congrats, great result. How did your "proposal" fare? Were you able to use it and did you learn anything new about it?

watsu

Home page
Posted: May 26, 2022, 8:49 PM

Not well, unfortunately. Mostly due to my inability to foresee and prepare for all the options the line would present in live play, I think.

watsu

Home page
Posted: May 27, 2022, 3:58 AM

Maybe I should offer to help sponsor a U.S. Pente master's trip to London in August to play Pente in the mind sports olympics? Any interested U.S. Pente masters can feel free to contact me about this possibility, if interested. Maybe you'll get to meet pente_gon in person (it's a long trip for him, but I think he might actually consider making it for the chance to play in an OTB swap2 Pente tournament).

invictus

Posted: May 28, 2022, 4:42 AM

congrats to watsu and pente_gon!

bloodied but unbowed
Replies: 10   Views: 15,274   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]