Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: who is the best live pente player in the world?
Replies: 10   Views: 15,384   Pages: 1   Last Post: May 28, 2022, 5:10 AM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 10   Views: 15,384   Pages: 1  
invictus

who is the best live pente player in the world?
Posted: May 9, 2022, 5:33 PM

to be honest, i have no idea.
lol
i am a marginal live player but have been around a few years.
and i have seen the evolution from live to tb.
i also know from experience that a highly ranked (red) tb player rarely has the skillset to play and win live games against me.
again... i am a moderate live player at best.
but if i had to pick one it'd prob be nosovs.
karlw would be a close second as he is arguably the most adaptive and diverse player on this site.

bloodied but unbowed

watsu

Home page
Re: who is the best live pente player in the world?
Posted: May 9, 2022, 6:49 PM

Active, semi active or retired is the question I'd ask first. I think nosovs is retired. Pente_gon is the defending swap2 champion in the mind sports olympics, so he'd be my natural pick in the active/ semi active category. Now, on a 13x13 board where overlines don't win it may be a different question. But, I'd still favor pente_gon there as well, assuming he was interested enough in the differences to take it up.
ETA: I base my assessment on his potential ability at 13x13 no overline win in part on his Pente skill and in part on his IRL tournament gomoku skill. I doubt we have another active player here at his gomoku skill level, though perhaps spavacz or someone else will prove me wrong about that...

Message was edited by: watsu at May 9, 2022, 6:59 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
watsu

Home page
Posted: May 9, 2022, 9:09 PM

In all seriousness, anyone in the world who thinks they can prove their superiority over pente_gon at live Pente should register to play swap2 Pente in the mind sports olympics on May 24th. If you can't come up with a good swap2 proposal in time, just offer the line you were planning to beat pente_gon as black with. And offer it to everyone else in the tournament, too. If your winning line as black won't fit on a 15x15 board, just shift the first stone off center a bit and it'll probably work out. I'm sure your line is incredible and will beat quite a few people (likely including me and perhaps even pente_gon). Here's where to register:

https://mindsportsolympiad.com/product/pente-2022/

Message was edited by: watsu at May 9, 2022, 9:27 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
mumix

Posted: May 10, 2022, 5:25 AM

I have not played that many people live, but of the people I have played, pente_gon was very, and the most, impressive.

invictus

Posted: May 10, 2022, 5:52 AM

of the approximately dozen games i have played pente_gon i have won 1.
lol
his reputation is certainly well deserved and yes he is quite possibly the best active live player.
tho i would add there are still a considerable few dangerous live players.
richardiii is one if you can get him to play live.
karl occasionally will deign to descend from olympus and play us mere mortals.
(never play karl for money,lol)

bloodied but unbowed
invictus

Posted: May 10, 2022, 6:39 AM

i think the parameters i failed to state were "currently" and "on this site".
when i pull up the homepage there is a plethora of skilled red players showing in the default tb leaderboard setting.
yet when i click on the live pente category i find the leaderboard is completely empty.
hmmmm.

bloodied but unbowed
mumix

Posted: May 10, 2022, 1:54 PM

Now is your chance vic!!!

watsu

Home page
Posted: May 10, 2022, 1:56 PM

I think vic's whole point is that HE can't show up on the leaderboard without an opponent willing to play him rated, lol.

invictus

Posted: May 13, 2022, 5:23 AM

i'd rather there were enough top players playing live games that i wouldn't make the leaderboard.
it would make for some fun tables!

bloodied but unbowed
etyrnal

Home page
Posted: May 28, 2022, 2:42 AM

" just offer the line you were planning to beat pente_gon as black with"

by this, do you mean a prepared strategy? or something else?

watsu

Home page
Posted: May 28, 2022, 5:10 AM

@eytrnal - In order to "prove superiority" over another player in Pente played in rated sets, one has to beat that player both with the white stones and the black stones in the same set. White is generally considered to have a very strong first player advantage at the master level. So, anyone who felt confident they were better than another player would need to feel confident they could beat that player with both the white and black pieces. Offering the position one would plan to beat that player using the black stones with (whatever first black move they would choose against that player, plus that other player's predicted second move) would (generally speaking) end with the person offered the position playing the white stones (due to the first player advantage and the master player's expected choice of a second move). So yes, you'd need to have a prepared strategy ahead of a game in order to beat a master live player as both black and white in the same set.

Replies: 10   Views: 15,384   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]