Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Ravensburger Pente variant information?
Replies: 1   Views: 17,098   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 10, 2021, 5:01 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 1   Views: 17,098   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
Ravensburger Pente variant information?
Posted: Nov 10, 2021, 12:12 PM

There's a Pente variant rule which is similar to the poof Pente variant here, but instead of being able to play a stone and have it be poof captured (and possibly capture the opponent's stones at the same time) playing o into the _ space in x_ox is forbidden. According to the programmer who added Pente and variants to Board Game Arena, this rule comes from a Ravensburger gomoku board which is over 20 years old. So far, I haven't heard back from the owner of the Ravensburger board for more details, but I'm curious to know more about the history of this variant. Ravensburger has been selling Go/Gomoku boards at least since the 1950s, so this variant could potentially be a ninuki renju variant which predates the Pente rules of 1977. Does anyone have more information on Ravensburger boards and gomoku variant rules?

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

watsu

Home page
Re: Ravensburger Pente variant information?
Posted: Nov 10, 2021, 5:01 PM

Sounds like the safe spot rule wasn't specified in the rules. I still want to know the age of the editions which had these rules, though.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 1   Views: 17,098   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]