Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Pente to be included in world championship of abstract games for national t
Replies: 13   Views: 19,728   Pages: 1   Last Post: Dec 27, 2021, 12:47 AM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 13   Views: 19,728   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
Pente to be included in world championship of abstract games for national t
Posted: Oct 27, 2021, 3:44 AM

Did you miss the opportunity to compete in this year's mnd sports olympics? If so, you may still be able to play Pente in the world championship of abstract games for national teams. Who's up for being a part of a U.S. team? Anyone?
https://www.abstrakta.info/mochalunt.html

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

watsu

Home page
Re: Pente to be included in world championship of abstract games for national t
Posted: Oct 28, 2021, 3:17 PM

It appears this will be Pente as played here, rather than swap2 Pente as was played in the mind sports olympics. A site called igGameCenter would appear to be the host site. That may put the Estonian team at a disadvantage, since I believe they've always played either swap or swap2 rules on their sites. I'm going to recommend to the tournament creators that either the games be played rated here (to prevent database access) or else be played as swap2 opening rules games.

Message was edited by: watsu at Oct 28, 2021, 7:28 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
wayak

Posted: Oct 29, 2021, 12:25 AM

I've only played a few recent games, back in the mid 80s I was much better than I am now. Hopefully it will come back to me, although I can already tell that the game has advanced since back then, and I'm happy to see that.

But yes, if you need a player, I'll join.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Oct 29, 2021, 3:19 AM

Thanks wayak, I don't know when it will start or who is willing to play, but I will definitely put you on my list.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Oct 29, 2021, 4:08 PM

I just found out that the pente games will be played rated here in order to prevent database access during play. There are about 20 abstract games being played and each game needs 4 team members playing, so a big team helps. Several countries have teams or are forming them, including the US.

mikaelh

Posted: Oct 31, 2021, 12:16 AM

Each player of a team will play a set of 4 different abstract games against the corresponding player of the opponent team.
The abstract games played will be different at every round.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Oct 31, 2021, 1:18 AM

I'm looking at the download of the rules now - teams should be minimum of 6 and maximum of 11 players (4 or 5 member teams allowed in exceptional cases). Each round, the team nominates 4 players ranked 1-4 from strongest to weakest.

Message was edited by: watsu at Oct 31, 2021, 1:19 AM

Message was edited by: watsu at Oct 31, 2021, 1:23 AM

mikaelh

Posted: Nov 5, 2021, 6:34 AM

So, in order to participate you must be prepared to play any of the over 40 games in the tournament? Many of them never heard of.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Nov 5, 2021, 2:54 PM

That sounds about right. Even with a maximum team size of 11, you wouldn't have nearly a large enough pool to specialize much.

mikaelh

Posted: Nov 5, 2021, 4:42 PM

OK, what a shame!
If it had been different tournaments for different games I would have tried to form Swedish Pente & Gomuko teams.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Nov 5, 2021, 5:07 PM

I'm going to see if I can drum up some interest in an international tournament (or team tournament) just for N in a row games like Pente, gomoku, renju, Connect6 etc. At least that way it's not all kinds of completely different games. With variants like Boat and keryo added, it would be quite a few different games, but there's at least some strategic overlap in common between the games.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Dec 26, 2021, 1:39 PM

A few updates on this:
The U.S. will likely not have its own team, due to not enough signups, but U.S. players can still participate as a group in combination with one or more other countries (to be determined who they will be grouped with). Interested players should register before the end of the year. Players will be playing more games than just Pente in their round, but only perhaps 2 or 3 additional games. It sounds like Pente games will be played as live rated sets here and that if players have concerns about losing their ratings rainwolf said it's okay to use an alternate account to play the games with.

wayak

Posted: Dec 27, 2021, 12:14 AM

Not enough U.S. sign-ups? How many are needed?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Dec 27, 2021, 12:47 AM

Minimum team size 6, maximum 11, but those totals are for 7 rounds with 4 players chosen by the team to play in each round and Pente will only be played in one round.

Replies: 13   Views: 19,728   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]