Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Match Challenge: karlw vs zoeyk
Replies: 6   Views: 21,696   Pages: 1   Last Post: Mar 23, 2022, 4:17 AM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 6   Views: 21,696   Pages: 1  
karlw

Match Challenge: karlw vs zoeyk
Posted: Apr 14, 2021, 5:55 AM

I officially challenge zoeyk to a rated Pente match. I propose the following format:

1 set Pro-pente - 20+10 timer

~5 minute break~

3 sets Speed pente - 3+2 timer

~15 minute intermission~

1 set Boat-pente - 25+10 timer

~5 minute break~

2 sets Speed-boat - 3+5 timer

~Victor Crowned~

Zoey, you can choose some dates/times and I will accept the one I prefer.

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Match Challenge: karlw vs zoeyk
Posted: Apr 15, 2021, 8:35 AM

Hi thanks Karl. Honored. I had a couple novel ideas which is why I did the unrated games. But currently I haven't studied for enough material to give a worthy effort for the format you propose. Also I'm rusty in live play. And I have been retired from live rated play for a decade. Im not looking for high pressure games. Just occasionally try a line casually for fun when I run across something interesting to share with you. If in the future I'm feeling feisty with some fierce material you'll be the first to challenge. I know its not what you were hoping to hear, but I am technically retired in my mind. I just visit you with the occasional novelty sometimes. The unrated games we have had so far have been fun. Hopefully we can do some more when inspiration comes. Thanks

Ps, im fine for you to have the crown over me. I think you are slightly better, in terms of calculating things faster in real time. Im just happy to give you some fun puzzles occasionally. Cheers.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Apr 15, 2021, 8:39 AM

I might consider boat. Because it isn't taken as seriously. Speed pente, come on lol, we both know im underdog in speed.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Apr 17, 2021, 11:40 PM

I might be willing to do your match at some point if I am ever able to get in some live play practice time with a strong opponent. maybe richard. but I'll say i do not agree with the timers you put. incremental should only be on speed modes. and yes boat is deeper thought requires more time. a better timer format would be:

Pente 20

Speed Pente 2/5

Boat 30

Speed boat 3/7

karlw

Posted: Apr 20, 2021, 6:35 AM

I agree to these terms. Set a date.

pentelove

Posted: Mar 23, 2022, 2:48 AM

Hi Karl and Zoey,

Did this event end up happening? I would love to have watched it. I have been tied up with work for the past year so have not been back to say hello.

I hope you are both well.

Regards,
Alison

watsu

Home page
Posted: Mar 23, 2022, 4:17 AM

Hi Alison,
2019 was the last time Karl and Zoey played live according to the database. I'm interested to know if you've done any AI games work in the AlphaGo deep learning era.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 6   Views: 21,696   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]