Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Haijinx?
Replies: 9   Views: 47,014   Pages: 1   Last Post: Aug 4, 2019, 1:34 AM by: karlw

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 9   Views: 47,014   Pages: 1  
madmike

Haijinx?
Posted: Jul 2, 2019, 5:48 AM

Anybody heard from him. He is about to time out on a bunch of games and hasn't completed one since middle of June.

karlw

Re: Haijinx?
Posted: Jul 2, 2019, 6:19 AM

Some possibilities:

1) He is on an extended vacation.
2) Upon realizing that his pet line K10 L9 J7 might actually lose to K11 (and perhaps other moves as well), he became disillusioned and quit the game of pente for good.
3) An emergency has taken his attention away from the game (this is extraordinarily unlikely: what could be more important than pente?)
4) haijinx is actually a computer who was accidentally unplugged by a careless engineer.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jul 2, 2019, 3:43 PM

5) His/her account was started as an alt. account as part of an extended plan for hijinks including (but perhaps not limited to)
a) aesthetically pleasing to the eye symmetrical games which would be unlikely to be played for other purposes
b) implementing rating changes for draws
c) leading other players to believe that K10 L9 J7 was superior to K10 L9 K7
d) reaching the March Madness finals while playing the above line
e) donating $ to pente.org
and his/her mission is now complete.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
haijinx

Home page
Posted: Jul 3, 2019, 1:31 PM

such speculations...

1 is true...

2 is silly...K11 might lose to some people above 2500 as I work out a better system for it, but in the last few games in that line, it's been improved enough to win against others...and in our last two games in it, you dodged it one game and improvised/innovated in the second...

3 is actually partly true....sick pet has been part of my time...

4 what's a careless engineer?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jul 3, 2019, 6:03 PM

"K11 might lose to some people above 2500"
I think you mean J7 might lose to K11 in the above statement.
If this is what you mean, I think both Karl and I are confident enough of the sure win of K11 against J7 that we'd bet on it in a ten game match if the stakes were interesting enough to keep our interest - at least I would, but I can't speak for Karl. Of course winning or losing such a bet would prove nothing about whether or not it is a sure win, though most likely I would get bored after a point and call out my sure win moves against various defenses as I did in our last set.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
watsu

Home page
Posted: Jul 3, 2019, 6:54 PM

Update - Karl and I will each play 5 games as P2 against haijinx on that opening and 2 games each against each other against that opening and predict a 14/0 record for K11 - if the bet is interesting enough to make it worth our time.
A contribution to a charity working to combat climate change if I win would get me participating h/t to Pink Floyd's David Gilmour for raising 21 million by auctioning off a whole lot of his guitars...

Message was edited by: watsu at Jul 3, 2019 6:56 PM

karlw

Posted: Jul 24, 2019, 8:41 PM

He's made about one move in the last month in our tournament games (I think it's a bit unusual that you can just buy 10 vacation days for about $3.50 and use them to extend a tournament final indefinitely--rainwolf?), so I wouldn't hold out too much hope...

lexidoodle

Home page
Re: Haijinx? Hell of a nice player
Posted: Aug 3, 2019, 9:45 PM

I played him often on live games. He took time tot teach me important moves. My experience with him/her , was awesome, sorely missed!

madmike

Posted: Aug 4, 2019, 12:06 AM

We will see, he is about to run out of time in a bunch more games.
If he buys more time, Karlw will be.... disappointed

karlw

Posted: Aug 4, 2019, 1:34 AM

Not as disappointed as if he just times out of our tournament games. I would prefer if he just moved already. He's been logged in multiple times this week.

Replies: 9   Views: 47,014   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]