Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Poof Boat Keryo
Replies: 7   Views: 53,854   Pages: 1   Last Post: Apr 18, 2019, 10:14 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 7   Views: 53,854   Pages: 1  
rainwolf

Home page
Poof Boat Keryo
Posted: Apr 13, 2019, 11:16 AM

I wonder, when poof and boat pente arrived on the scene, was there any thought of combining those 3 additional rules in 1 game?

karlw

Re: Poof Boat Keryo
Posted: Apr 13, 2019, 3:34 PM

Believe it or not, Poof-Boat "DG" Keryo pente on a 5x9 board was the default rule set in my hometown of Ipswich, SD. Needless to say I was very confused when I first joined this site!

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
watsu

Home page
Posted: Apr 13, 2019, 5:07 PM

Lol @ Karlw - did you play it 1/1 bullet?

@ RW - your question got me digging around in the archives (we really do need a Pente historian) on the time frame for the introduction of the variants here. In my memory, keryo was around here forever, but in actuality the introduction of it and G pente here was probably what spurred me to consider proposing adding poof as a playable variant. I think I proposed it at BK along with a poof puzzle and was very pleasantly surprised to see that Dweebo had added it as a variant here. So, keryo G and poof arrived here within a month or two of each other a little less than 16 years ago. D apparently came along several months later based on the date of the first DB game. There was some talk of poof keryo at the time, but I think there were so few players playing variants at that point that the coding effort of combining them was not considered worthwhile. Also, keryo has three distinct types of poofs - the standard x_ox as well as xo_ox and x_oox so it's a bit tricky. Mmammel and I did a few postal D poof games, emailing each other our moves.
Boat Pente was introduced about 3 years later. Zoeyk and I played a couple of boat poof games (I don't recall exactly when) - I think we played them on a poof board and then analyzed the end game to determine who had the win in the position.
Yes, we all talked about speed DG poof boat keryo anti pente

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 13, 2019, 8:55 PM

I'm pondering it. I dislike the choice part in from D-Pente, it involves too much opening knowledge. I enjoy keryo because it feels like a low barrier game, whereas poof and boat feel like it can easily be dominated by good (regular) pente players. I'm very curious as to how the poof and boat rules might spice up keryo.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Apr 13, 2019, 10:13 PM

Sounds interesting to me. I also am not a huge fan of D. Not of keryo either, but if you spice it up like that, I could probably grow to like it

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
karlw

Posted: Apr 18, 2019, 9:18 PM

Who's to say that a (good) regular pente player dominating every variant isn't the natural state of things? Didn't dmitriking get all 27 KotH crowns at once? *thinking emoji*

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 18, 2019, 9:33 PM

Maybe, care to add a data point to the sample?

Meanwhile, I added said variant, and called it O-Pente.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Apr 18, 2019, 10:14 PM

Awesome, off to study keryo openings ASAP!

@Karl - Don't try adding another data point! I don't doubt that you could, but doing that pretty much burned Dmitri out. Not the only reason he retired again, but definitely a factor.

Replies: 7   Views: 53,854   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]